Should I buy an iPod Touch 4 or wait for the next generation model?

Siddharth Bhatia April 2, 2012

I am thinking to buy iPod Touch 4. Do you think it’s worth to buy or should I wait for the 5 generation model?

This is my first iPod Touch and I want to buy the best. Do you have any idea when the new iPod Touch will be launched?

Thanks for reading my question!

1. Chris

Unfortunatly you can never be sure, the best indications are past release dates and some rumour sites. The decision is basicly maths, the probability of it being released this year and the financial circumstances of you as an individual. Also consider other options such as buying a second hand one or buying a new one now, selling it when the 5g comes out and putting the money you get towards it.

2. jedimasterchris

Some good information on Wikipedia (can't believe I said that) if you want more evidence or feel free to ask me anything else.

3. jedimasterchris

Also you ask about release dates:

1st gen iPod touch - September 2007
    2nd gen iPod touch - September 2008
    3rd gen iPod touch - September 2009
    4th gen iPod touch - September 2010
    5th gen, didn't get realised on September 2011

So, it's already what, 18 months old. ALSO, consider we're only on the iPhone 4S and the touch is basically an iPhone with no phone! My guess is an iPhone 5 will be out by September, October time so an iPod touch isn't going to be that far behind. As they skipped a year consider that there may also be a big jump in specification too which is only going to be hard for your 18 month old yet 6 month new iPod touch 4th gen to keep up with come iPod touch 5 release day. So my advice is if you don't have the surplus cash just wait, I know it's hard, or just get a 2nd hand cheaper one to bide your time as I doubt your a secret millionaire or you probably wounldnt be asking the question in the first place. I got burned, so you don't have too!

• Siddharth Bhatia

Ok i would be waiting for 5g model but are you sure that its going to  release  this year

4. jedimasterchris

Personally I would wait. I got my iPod touch 3rd Gen as a free gift when I signed up for mobile broadband but this was after the 4th Gen had been realeased and on the website I used they incorrectly referred to the iPod offer as a 4th Gen iPod (why I signed up) but what actually came was a 3rd Gen. I complained but got nowhere (It was 3 the mobile network and their customer service is terrible, the only people who would speak to me we're indian and just kept saying "everyone else got the 3rd gen too so even though we advertised a 4th gen we don't see your point"

Anyway I quickly found as I updated applications many stopped working or were not supporting 3rd gen iPods and I felt that even though the iPod was less than a year old it just wasn't "new enough" for me to experience at least a year of cross compatible applications. I do appreciate that the leap from 3rd gen to 4th gen was a big one (retina display and mic for example) but it did feel not fit for purpose far far too soon.

Another consideration (if your applications) is that most applications you use on the touch are actually written for the iPhone, so if that gets an update you can often be left behind so also consider what iPhones are on the horizon too. My girlfriend wanted to buy me an iPad for my birthday last tear but I actually told her to wait and that I would wait until the iPad 3rd gen was released as I didn't want the same "outdated" experience I had with the touch.