Should I buy the HTC One X or wait for the Galaxy S3?

sudeep1110 April 6, 2012

I’m an Android enthusiast (understatement) and a student who’s so far only used dumbphones. Having skipped the Galaxy Nexus, I turned all my attention toward the GS3. The question is, should I wait to have probably the next greatest phone or get the One X already?

1. sudeep1110

UPDATE: Bought the S3 on June 23rd (International version). I'm super-happy with the choice, although it's personal preference more than anything else.

2. Shyam

The unveiling date for Samsung Galaxy S3 is May 3rd 2012 which is tomorrow. And going by Samsung's past history & all the specs going around, Samsung is up with yet another pathbreaking device which will give others a run for their money.

3. Amrin Long

My upgrade was available on the Sprint network April 1st. I like the HTC One X and  HTC's line of product, but until we find out more about Sammy's Galaxy S3 is when we can make more of a well informed decision. It's a pain waiting (I was dealing with an EVO 4g with a cracked screen until today) but you don't want to be that kid who gets something cool, then it's not a month after!

4. Tilman

Is there actually any information available regarding the expected launch date of the Samsung Galaxy SIII?

• Susendeep Dutta

It's rumored to be launched at 22nd may.

• Tilman

Oh it's so soon already!? :O I thought it's much later... In that case I definitely think that it makes sense to wait! I've been waiting patiently for about a year already with choosing my first smartphone :D Admittedly, I make decisions slowly ;) Let's see, maybe I will wait for the S4 then :D ;)

5. Keith Collyer

Does the HTC deliver what you want now? If so, you may as well get it. If you wait for the GS3, something else will be waiting in the wings by the time it is out and you will then be wondering if you should wait for that.

• Sudeep

I guess that makes the most sense. Need to calm my impatience. :)

6. Roy Clark Isserlis

I'd suggest you wait until the S3 tech is proeprly announced by Samsung then make your choice. 

• Sudeep

True. The rumour mill can't be trusted a 100%.

• Mark

Hi, thought I could be of some help :). I have both the GS2 and as of a few days ago a HTC One X, I was in the exact same situation last week and as you couldn't make up my mind weather to wait for the S3 or not. But as there is no real specs on the S3 yet (plus I have a S2 already) I decided to grab the One X as it is a very powerful and full featured smartphone, I don't like the fact that the battery and memory are fixed either but with 32Gb phone mem I'm sure I will make do lol. I really did want to get the S3 but as always when it is released there will be something else around the corner I would be pulling my hair out trying to decide if I should skip the S3 and wait for what ever that is to come out, so that's why I opted to grab the HTC now (plus as mentioned it is a really great phone). I hope this has helped and not made your decision harder
                                                           Regards, Mark

7. Susendeep Dutta

I would recommend you to wait for Samsung Galaxy S III as things will become more clear in the competition space between mobile phones.

Samsung has used Exynos CPU in Galaxy S II and I'm sure that it will use more advanced version,most probably quad core version with improved graphics performance than Tegra 3.Other reason I would like you to wait for Galaxy S III or whatever Samsung names it,is that HTC One X has no expandable battery and memory and this trend is followed by many other Android handset manufacturers too.With the sensors of camera getting advanced,the storage needs will get increased after due time and cloud storage is not always the solution.Moreover,Samsung has started manufacturing high speed memory cards designed for LTE devices,so one can expect it to have this facility in their flagship phone too.

And in case,you are not satisfied with Galaxy S III after its launch,you can reap the benefits of wide availability of One X,slight decrease of its price and wide user reviews.

I hope you will have great first time smartphone experience.

• Mac

I would wait for the S3 as well. The HTC is more like the iPhone in construction lacking a way to remove the battery and add expansion memory. We all know that most Android phones require a battery pull at least once in a while. Where will that leave HTC One X users?

• Sudeep

True, that. Thanks!

• Sudeep

Thanks! That does make a lot of sense.

• Sudeep

Thanks! I have, in fact, decided to wait. 

8. Tilman Bauer

I'd like to know the answer, too! Hoping that some really knowledgeable people will reply here :) As for what I have heard, the HTC One X is supposedly in reality not as good as HTC lets us believe. But I can't give any evidence for this statement because I just have heard it from somebody else. Nor do I know anything about the Galaxy S3! Sorry that I can't help you more :(

• sudeep1110

No problem! 
      All the One X reviews I have read/seen recommend it quite generously, so can't comment on that. (I'm quite tempted to buy it, but considering how path-breaking the GS2 was, it might make sense to wait just a little bit more for the sequel.)

• Roy Clark Isserlis

As an HTC One X owner, I can't see anything wrong with the handset, (I'm in Europe so I get the Quad Core, but no LTE), all the tech they promised is in place, it handles well, feels light for the physical size it is.

• Sudeep

Of course. All the reviews I've heard so far suggest the same. The only thing stopping me from buying it was the fact that the successor to the S2 would be even better than the current Android king.

9. Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

If it where me, I would wait. But I am a big Samsung fan.

• sudeep1110

Thanks. Helps to have opinions.