How can I buy an expiring web domain name?

Sagar January 2, 2012

How do I buy a web domain name that is expiring on February 1st 2012 before the owner renews it, if he didn’t purchase it on an auto-renew basis?

Usually an expired domain enters a 30 days (suggested by ICANN) redemption grace period in which the domain will simply be inactive but can be renewed by the original owner at any given time.

As a convenience to their customers any registrar is free to [and most of them do] add other meanings to prevent a domain being sniped by someone else. For example a lot of registrars offer a 60-90 day grace period or will park the domain for certain time before they release it for registration.

Depends on who he purchased with. As far as I can tell, Godaddy tends to keep a domain after its expired in order to give the old owner some time to change their mind and renew. Otherwise, you can purchase it as soon as it's expired, obviously. 

Just because he didnt purchase it on auto-renew doesnt mean he wont still renew it yet. You dont get automatic right to buy it because they choose to do it manually, and until it's expired you can;t touch it. There's no "reservation system". He has can still renew it up to and sometimes after the expiration date, and only then you can try to purchase it.