Should I buy a 24″ or 27″ monitor?

Til Man September 16, 2012

Hi dear MUO helpers!

I am planning to buy a new monitor and I have narrowed down my selection to two models which I like most:

– HP ZR2440w 24″ LED with S-IPS panel
– HP ZR2740w 27″ LED with S-IPS panel

As you can see, they are pretty similar, except that one is a 24″ and the other a 27″ monitor. The smaller one has a resolution of 1920 x 1200 and the bigger one 2560 x 1440. I’ve done a lot of research in order to come up with this narrowed down selection but now I have difficulties to decide… Can you please help me to decide? :)

Some thoughts:

– 27″ is very expensive (780 Euros)
– 24″ is considerably cheaper (450 Euros)
– 27″ has an awesome resolution (2560 x 1440)
– The 1920 x 1200 resolution of the 24″ monitor is the same resolution I have on my 17″ laptop screen so I am hesitating to buy a larger screen with the same resolution. After all, I need significantly more screen real estate.

1. Abba Jee

if i were you , i'd buy 24" monitor, but it really depends on you

2. Nikhil Gupta

for bigger screen u need more discrete graphic card.
    so it is totally depend upon ur graphic card...
    which screen is best for u...
    for me 24 inc is perfect...

3. vasu gupta

27?

4. Til Man

Thank you all for your excellent answers! You have really helped me to decide by telling me your arguments. I opted for the 27" model :)

Is there a way for me to mark this question as resolved? Because that's what it is! I ordered the screen today =)

Cheers,

Tilman

Login with your account you used to post this question and then you can see below your question asking you whether your issue is resolved and then click on blue coloured text to mark it as resolved.

• Til Man

Hi! I am right now logged in with the same account but I can't find that resolved button anywhere! I spent a lot of time looking for it, I even CTRL+F searched the whole page for resolved but I just can't find it! Can you please show me a screenshot?

P.S. As I mentioned before, I ordered the 27" screen – but it takes 2-4 weeks until it's delivered :( Still waiting for it...

Firstly,clear your browser history and cookies.

Click on the link below to see screenshot -

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2Ad7dCdxcNpWGVHMUI1QUdTOG8

• Til Man

Ok so it seems that MUO has messed things up again... Even though I am in my opinion logged in with the same account, MUO does not show this thread as my "own" thread :( Because I did clear all history and cookies but still I can't see that link!

5. Ram Lalit

Go for 27 as already u have a negative feeling about 24.
    you will not be able to like 24 later.

6. Vishwang Bhaskar

27" looks tempting but is costly ...... buy according to your needs .... :)

7. Tina Stark

it really depends what your going to use it for, if you watch a lot of movies and tv on it then i'd say get the 27? if you just use it for music and word processing stuff then get the 24? monitor. That's my opinion, hope that helps :o)

8. Todd Goodhead

I think that you need to decide what you are going to use the monitor for before you decide which one to purchase. I have used a 24" monitor with the same resolution for the past 4 years and I have not found a reason to upgrade it. It has more the enough real estate for Word documents and Excel spreadsheets. I also play many FPS games and the monitor has served me well in this aspect. I tinker around with photos and video and I feel that the 24" size works for me. I would suggest purchasing the smaller monitor and using the money not spent on a nice dinner outing for you and your significant other.

9. Muhammad Ahmad

24" is best for you as it's more economic and the screen size is also reasonable.

10. Laga Mahesa

If you do NOT go for the higher resolution, you will regret it. The bigger the screen, the more visible the pixels are at lower resolutions.

For computers, 1920x1200 (1080p 'HD' essentially) is abysmal on anything over 23". Spend the extra bucks, and get two of them.

11. Michael Jan Moratalla

Well for me the bigger the monitor the better because when I'm on my computer I always multitask on anything that come to my mind so having a bigger monitor or multi monitor is what I need to do that. just to state my opinion.

12. Leonel Peralta

I'm a man with a 32" LED HDtv as a monitor and I love it.
    Now, to be honest all you have to ask yourself is... do you want an enlarged version of your laptop? or do you want to have more space to do stuff on your computer. See, I play video games on 720p windowed mode that way I can interact with my friends on facebook as well as listen to music and several multi-task. Oh, and watching a show while chatting is fun. So, at the end of the day... my 32" HDtv serves me better than a dual monitor. If I were you, I'd definitely choose the one with the higher resolution.

13. Jordan

to be honest, if you are going to get a 27 inch monitor with that resolution, i hope you are playing a lot of games and possibly into a lot of photoshop. the 24inch is much cheaper than the 27inch and personally, i would go for a 24inch. once you get to a 27inch, you might as well get a 32inch tv or something like that. if you are looking for some amazing amount of real estate then what i would urge you to do is get a graphics card that can support dual monitors (an eyefinity ATI card) and get 2 24inch monitors, put them side by side and have a good time!

14. Erlis Dhima

If you ask me, I would go for the 27"..
    But looking at the price, I would choose 25".
    Anyway, if you can handle, buy the 27"! :D

I would suggest you 27" as it'll be future proof and if you plan to use Windows OS and Intel processors,they are going to support this huge resolution,so more apps will be available in short time to take advantage for it and thus a win-win situation for you.

The answer to your question has got to be - but what you can afford and what suits you. Everybody can only offer opinions based on what they have or would like, for instance how long a piece of string should I buy, 5 meters or 10? How long do you need, I only need 5 meters so thats what I would recommend.
    Why not pop along to your local dealer and check out what they look like and get an idea of what would suit your needs.

17. sabaris krishna

24" inch monitor is more enough what i feel.. because am happy to work in that monitor. 27"is too expensive

27", 1920x1080, (1080p), the pixels will be bigger then on a 24" at the same res. bigger pixel= bigger text. 27" is nicer. You will appreciate the extra room , the wider screen for panoramic work and the better16:9 aspect ratio for watching HD videos also playing games with higher FPS..

My 27" iMac was my best computing purchase, ever. I know you're just talking about monitors, but what a difference it makes! You may find you can't stand using little screens anymore though...

Do you want to use the monitor in addition to the laptops display or as a replacement? If you are going to use both the 24" will already double your "screen real estate".

I'm not sure at what point resolutions qualify as awesome because other than editing photographs or other creative means anything above 1080i doesn't really change much. Actually, if you watch 1080i material on the 27" in fullscreen there would be interpolation which may lower the quality.

27" definitely a nice thing to have, no questions asked – if you got the money and the [table] space go for it

24" more than enough in general

21. Harish Jonnalagadda

The monitor size comes down to the kind of the work you want to do. If you want to game, the 27'' is the way to go. A 24'' monitor with a 1920 x 1200 resolution would not be good enough. But there would a considerable drain in buying a 27'' monitor, and you would also need a fast video card.

22. Elrick Browne

If Your going by price then the 24 because even tho the resolution is the same as your laptop you would still be able to see things larger because of dpi

23. Marielba

It depends on what you do. If you do graphic work, go with the the 27" one since it gives you better resolution. Otherwise, go for the 24" one. Hope that helps!

Given a choice, I would prefer the 27" which a higher resolution, however the pricing and power consumption is to be considered. Therefore, only you can take this decision, depending on the kind of work you do on a PC. For example, if you are in CAD designing or something in similar lines, a bigger monitor with a higher resolution is recommended.

25. Eserpess der

As some one who has switched between a larger and smaller monitor many times. I personally prefer the larger model, not just for the resolution but because you not having to lean in more the bigger it is and not hurting you back as much. Also I'm a gamer so bigger is always better. But thats just my personal opinion :)

26. Matt Smith

Personally I am happy with my 24" monitor. A 27" monitor sounds great, but it would be really quite large on my desk. Also, if playing a game ever is something you want to do, upping the resolution means you have to buy an even faster video card or accept very low detail settings.

You did not mention what would be running this monitor, but you did mention a laptop. If by chance you are running the monitor off the laptop you should check to make sure that your laptop supports a resolution above what you've listed.