Why do some burning programs not recognize my DVD burner in Windows 7?

Wes November 3, 2010

My laptop has developed a curious situation: dBpoweramp and CDBurnerXP do not find the onboard Matshita DVD-RAM burner, yet ImgBurn and Sony Sound Forge do.

Because of the GUI interface, I like to use CDBurnerXP and I like dBpoweramp’s audio CDWriter capability.

CDBurnerXP will burn .wav files, but not DATA files; dBpoweramp will rip and convert audio files, but not write them once converted.

Is there some registry tweak that needs to be done or undone ?

I’m running Windows 7 Professional on a Toshiba Satellite L305.

Thanks,
Wes

1. Dustin

Hi guys,

I just ran across this same issue on Windows 7. I had several programs running on my comp that caused all of them to have this problem. I uninstalled all of them, restarted my comp, and re-installed only the one(s) that I need to use. Here is a list of what I use:

Graboid 500k mb subscription to download movies; they come in many formats; some are .avi and some are .iso.

For the avi conversion I use Aura DVDRipper(paid version) to convert to Mpeg (converts anything except .iso to nearly any format you can think of)

For burning the converted files, I use Windows DVD Maker

For the iso burning, I use the free CDBurnerXP

These are the only programs that you need currently at this time. 7/5/2011 for Windows 7.

Thanks for sharing, Dustin! So does everything work again now?

Hitry to update the driver or go to run and write devmgmt.msc so once in the drive manager rightclick on your burner and choose uninstal then reboot your windows will instal a new one. if stillthe same problem then do the following:do this: Right click on the CD writer application....go to properties go to compatibility tab, tick "run this in program in compatability mode for:" then choose Windows Vista (Service Pack2)

also
    System Information :

Start > Run > In the Open box, type msinfo32.exe > System Summery >

go through/check statuses in Hardware Resourses ( DMA, I/O, IRQs )
    & Components ( especially Problem Devices )

also possible some your burning soft are in conflict so uninstal them, then clean pc then check one ny one!

• Wes

Thank you ha14.

Tried your suggestions. Everything seemed copacetic. Yes, I think there was a software conflict after installing SoundForge. DVDFab wouldn't start either. I
      ended-up re-installing the Toshiba Drivers pkg. It added an entry to the registry
      that earlier investigations did not find. Now all the audio-video programs dependent on the CD-DVD burner work.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Wes,

did these programs ever work properly in Windows 7 or is this an issue that came up recently? Are there any specific error messages?

CDBurderXP has a Troubleshooting article regarding CD/DVD drive detection problems. Check it out here: http://cdburnerxp.se/help/appendices/troubleshooting

I didn't find anything for dBpowerAMP other than more people facing the same issue without solution.

You say that these two programs do not detect your drive, but then you describe that CDBurnderXP does burn .wav files. Now how does it burn these files, when it can not detect the drive? Anyways, you may find a solution in the troubleshooting section of CDBurnerXP.

• Wes

Thanks, Tina.
      I did try troubleshooting via cdburnerxp and microsoft help sites. They mentioned
      deleting upper and lower filters from the registry. I found none there. How, indeed,
      were these programs able to burn the files ? I appreciate the tip.