How can I burn ‘read only’ music files to CD?

Rebecca Melrose September 7, 2011

I recently downloaded some music from the Ares file sharing site. They all ended up being ‘read only’ files, so I’m unable to burn any CDs. Is there any way to change that or another file sharing site I can go to where that won’t happen?

Hey Rebecca,

Did you manage to burn the music files using suggestions above? Let us know if you need any further asisstance.

Aibek

Rebecca, what is the extension/file type of the files you downloded ?I think if you can play them then you can burn them to a cd.try to convert the files in any format so that may make them availale to burn a cd

3. Brucew0617

I think you can use just use Windows Media Player to burn those music into CD.

Hello, you might try doing the following to see if you can change the attributes for the files.  Try it with one song/file and see if it works for you.

-- copy one of the songs to another location (for backup purposes)-- right click the song-- on menu that shows click Properties.
    -- select the general tab-- find and uncheck the read-only box-- click ok-- try to see if you can burn it to a cd.  It is not necessary for you to burn only the one song, this is just to check if your burning software can handle the file.-- if burning software handles the file, follow the same steps for all the songs