Why does the built-in webcam of my Toshiba laptop not work?
Question by Sino /

I have a Toshiba L750 Satellite laptop. It has a built-in webcam that’s been working fine up until last week. Now I can’t find the program to open it.

I tried opening it via Skype, and it says “No webcam found. Connect your webcam or check it’s connect properly”. I’ve had no luck trying to use it from Facebook or YouTube, either.

I looked into the start-up menus, as well (the one that’s F2 when turning on the laptop). The webcam says that it’s still enabled. My webcam is very important to me to be able to use. Please help :(

• kimar

i have a m201 advent laptop and my built in webcam had stop working two months after i purchase. i enabled it is still did not work, can someone tell me what to do please and thanks.

• Sino

You start by asking your own question and stop leeching off of mine.

• Jeremy

Sino. did you look at my response above? I bet this is your issue. And also you don’t need to be an A-hole. people are just trying to get their problem fixed like you are which seems to be the same issue.

• Lee Tuia

Hi there,

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro C650 Laptop and for some reason the built in webcam is not working anaymore? A message always pop’s up saying “Web camera initialization failed. Please check your camera device and restart camera application or computer.” I’ve tried everything yet I still get the same message. Does anybody know what to do? Or how to make it work again? Please? :)

• LILI

i have a Toshiba Laptop windows 7 may belt in webcam from yestrday not working

• mikayla

i tried face recongnition and my face does not appear.. just a pic of stars.. same goes for every other thing (skype, facebook, etc.) i really need help!

• Mahesh

Reset the BIOS values to Default values.

Check if there are yellow marks in Device manager.

Now remove all the external devices connected to the computer including AC adapter. Now remove the battery of the computer. Now press and Hold the power button of the laptop for 2 minutes. Connect back the battery (Do not connect external devices) turn ON the computer and check if webcam is working.

• nicole

i have a toshiba laptop and my camera is not working.. while using the skype may camera appears black and is still loading… dnt knw what’s the problem.. It is really important to me… what will I do?

• louie

How do I turn on my integrated webcam? I have a toshiba laptop and I have the cyberlink youcam program. When I open the program an error message pops up that says the following: “No webcam detected. Try plugging in a webcam into your computer now. If you are using an integrated camera make sure that it is turned on.” I have been searching for a way to turn it on and have not come accross it.

• Jeremy J

My webcam did the same thing on my HP. I took my credit card and popped the plastic bezel that covers the screen by where the webcam is. Slightly to the right of the webcam you’ll see a little white plug the is probably slightly hanging out. Push it up and bam. Your webcam works again. If you’re unsure of what im talking about as far as removing the plastic bezel just youtube it. Hopefully this works for all of you guys!

• Iamantk

Thank you so much. i was having the same issue and didnt want to but a new web cam and i did what you said and now it works

• Briana

Thanks so much i was having the same problem the first guy was having nothing seem to work than i did what you suggested and my camera was working again, the plug had came lose

• Joel Alar

Did you try to check if there are a hardware switch or Fn function to enable the wifi radio of your laptop?

• Tish Perez

My toshiba L645 web cam us all of the sudden not working. I was wondering if I accidentally disabled it or something. Dont know where to look on my laptop for it. Help

• Sino

Go ask your own question, then.

• gordo

did you get this fixed?

• Sino

No, the integrated webcam is still shot. Toshiba said they’d e-mail directions on sending it in, but that never went through. I just got a new plug-in webcam, so it’s not really an issue.

• Candy

Hi Sino,
      Just reading through this page – I have the exact same problem!
      I’ve tried everything and everytime I click the webcam application it says ‘web camera initialization failed. Please check your camera device and restart applicaton or computer.’
      Just wondering if you’ve managed to fix yours by now?!
      Its driving me crazy – it used to work!

• Sino

The integrated camera could never get fixed. Computer technicians won’t touch it ’cause it would void the warranty, no one knows what’s wrong software wise, and the warranty doesn’t even help elsewise. I got a moderately cheap plug-in camera and that works fine.

• kris

we have same problem my toshiba satelite c850 have that same trouble also

Hello, when you download the program from the toshiba site, it includes the driver. Make sure to uninstall the program, restart computer and then download the program/driver from the toshiba site. Installing it again. If that does not work, it could be a hardware issue. Have you installed any updates? or any programs that have access to webcam? Some times this can cause corruption in programs and also programs with drivers.