Why does the built-in webcam of my Toshiba laptop not work?

Sino August 8, 2012

I have a Toshiba L750 Satellite laptop. It has a built-in webcam that’s been working fine up until last week. Now I can’t find the program to open it.

I tried opening it via Skype, and it says “No webcam found. Connect your webcam or check it’s connect properly”. I’ve had no luck trying to use it from Facebook or YouTube, either.

I looked into the start-up menus, as well (the one that’s F2 when turning on the laptop). The webcam says that it’s still enabled. My webcam is very important to me to be able to use. Please help :(

1. kimar

i have a m201 advent laptop and my built in webcam had stop working two months after i purchase. i enabled it is still did not work, can someone tell me what to do please and thanks.

• Sino

You start by asking your own question and stop leeching off of mine.

• Jeremy

Sino. did you look at my response above? I bet this is your issue. And also you don't need to be an A-hole. people are just trying to get their problem fixed like you are which seems to be the same issue.

2. Lee Tuia

Hi there,

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro C650 Laptop and for some reason the built in webcam is not working anaymore? A message always pop's up saying "Web camera initialization failed. Please check your camera device and restart camera application or computer." I've tried everything yet I still get the same message. Does anybody know what to do? Or how to make it work again? Please? :)

• Sino

Yea, it's called asking your own question and not leeching off of mine.

3. LILI

i have a Toshiba Laptop windows 7 may belt in webcam from yestrday not working

4. mikayla

i tried face recongnition and my face does not appear.. just a pic of stars.. same goes for every other thing (skype, facebook, etc.) i really need help!

5. Mahesh

Reset the BIOS values to Default values.

Check if there are yellow marks in Device manager.

Now remove all the external devices connected to the computer including AC adapter. Now remove the battery of the computer. Now press and Hold the power button of the laptop for 2 minutes. Connect back the battery (Do not connect external devices) turn ON the computer and check if webcam is working.

6. nicole

i have a toshiba laptop and my camera is not working.. while using the skype may camera appears black and is still loading... dnt knw what's the problem.. It is really important to me... what will I do?

7. louie

How do I turn on my integrated webcam? I have a toshiba laptop and I have the cyberlink youcam program. When I open the program an error message pops up that says the following: "No webcam detected. Try plugging in a webcam into your computer now. If you are using an integrated camera make sure that it is turned on." I have been searching for a way to turn it on and have not come accross it.

• Jeremy J

My webcam did the same thing on my HP. I took my credit card and popped the plastic bezel that covers the screen by where the webcam is. Slightly to the right of the webcam you'll see a little white plug the is probably slightly hanging out. Push it up and bam. Your webcam works again. If you're unsure of what im talking about as far as removing the plastic bezel just youtube it. Hopefully this works for all of you guys!

• Iamantk

Thank you so much. i was having the same issue and didnt want to but a new web cam and i did what you said and now it works

• Briana

Thanks so much i was having the same problem the first guy was having nothing seem to work than i did what you suggested and my camera was working again, the plug had came lose

• Jeremy J
  8. Joel Alar

Did you try to check if there are a hardware switch or Fn function to enable the wifi radio of your laptop?

• Sino

Like I would care about the WiFi Radio that has nothing to do with this issue?

• Joel Alar

Sorry, I mean is the Fn function of your web cam. modern laptops has a fn function to enable the cam of your laptop.

• Sino

I knew what was meant. No help there.

9. Tish Perez

My toshiba L645 web cam us all of the sudden not working. I was wondering if I accidentally disabled it or something. Dont know where to look on my laptop for it. Help

• Sino

Go ask your own question, then.

• gordo

did you get this fixed?

• Sino

No, the integrated webcam is still shot. Toshiba said they'd e-mail directions on sending it in, but that never went through. I just got a new plug-in webcam, so it's not really an issue.

• Candy

Hi Sino,
      Just reading through this page - I have the exact same problem!
      I've tried everything and everytime I click the webcam application it says 'web camera initialization failed. Please check your camera device and restart applicaton or computer.'
      Just wondering if you've managed to fix yours by now?!
      Its driving me crazy - it used to work!

• Sino

The integrated camera could never get fixed. Computer technicians won't touch it 'cause it would void the warranty, no one knows what's wrong software wise, and the warranty doesn't even help elsewise. I got a moderately cheap plug-in camera and that works fine.

• kris

we have same problem my toshiba satelite c850 have that same trouble also

Hello, when you download the program from the toshiba site, it includes the driver. Make sure to uninstall the program, restart computer and then download the program/driver from the toshiba site. Installing it again. If that does not work, it could be a hardware issue. Have you installed any updates? or any programs that have access to webcam? Some times this can cause corruption in programs and also programs with drivers.

• Sino

This was already suggested and the link did not include the driver.

• Bogkntan Antrei Krintea

Hi Sino,

Try and run "Device doctor" found at http://www.devicedoctor.com/ or "Radar Sync" at http://www.radarsync.com/ and see whether you can find your driver.

• Sino

Neither program worked.

• Bogkntan Antrei Krintea

Sino,

Please access the following link, answer yes at the first question and follow the steps.

http://www5.nohold.net/Toshiba/Loginr.aspx?pid=3&login=1&alt1=support&usertext=No%20webcam%20found

Also another idea would be to try and restore your windows system to a previous point in time when the camera worked fine. You can follow the steps mentioned here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

If none of these solutions work i would directly call Toshiba Support at (855) 256-9005.

• Sino

Bogkntan, if you've been paying attention to any of the previous replies, I've already tried ALL of the things you've been suggesting. Two of which were in my question itself, and Toshiba not having done jack shit.

11. pozdravcho

On my Toshiba L750, there's an option in the BIOS settings to either enable or disable the webcam. Check if it's not disabled in your BIOS settings - if that's not the cause, then better take it to a service station.

• Sino

Already said it was enabled in my question.

• Sino

I already said it was enabled in my question.

12. Erlis Dhima

I would recommend "ParetoLogic PC Health Advisor"... Its an app that has an option for driver scanning.. It helped me in times like this..
    Try it! Maybe it helps you too!
    Also don't forget to windows update! After all this restart your computer, and try if it works...
    Hope it helps!

13. Christopher Harlan

Check your device manager and drivers. If you lack the drivers, find them online and install!

• Sino

Been trying that. Only thing I've found was the application, not the driver.

14. Bogkntan Antrei Krintea

Hi Sino,

You could try reinstalling the webcam driver.
    You can find it here.

http://www.drivertoshiba.com/satellite-drivers/toshiba-satellite-l750-windows-7-drivers.html

• Sino

Doesn't seem to be doing anything. ;(

• Sino

"A later version of 'TOSHIBA Web Cam Application' is already installed on this computer. Setup cannot continue.

• Stephen

Nvm about my last replies... I can find the application now, and now it says that 'Web Camera initialization failed. Please check your camera device and restart application or computer.'

• Oron

It could be that your driver has become corrupt. Remove the application, and delete the driver (highlight it in Device manager and press [Del]). Now download the newest version from Toshiba and reinstall it.

• Sino

except how the driver isn't even in the Device Manager and the only thing I can get from Toshiba was the application? :/

• Oron

What about the "Webcam Driver – Download" link at the page Bogkntan Antrei Krintea suggested?

• Sino

That link only did the application, never the actual driver.

Try restoring your laptop using system restore to a state when your webcam worked.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

• Sino

Already tried restoring. No such luck.

Is the webcam listed in device manager without warning/disabled flags? Are the drivers for it present (and preferabbly up-to-date)?

• Sino

It is not listed in the device manager.