How can I build a website where people can watch movies online?

Erlis Dhima September 10, 2012

Ok! I have a lot of knowledge in building sites with WordPress and creating them with HTML/CSS.
But I make this question to you, so maybe I can learn more!

So how to build a good website where to watch movies online?

For example, sites like Hulu.com and others.

I want to know the steps I should follow to build a good site, where people can watch movies online for the entire world! (No region restriction) Also, I want the video player to support both the high quality (maybe also 1080p) and also different subtitles. (For example the youtube cc option)

Also, do I have to get copyrights by any company that owns this movie.. (Of course that is needed! Right?)

Also I accept other suggestion, of course! I really need to create a good one! So, two (or more) minds are better than one, right?

1. Kathy Davis

There are many websites which shows online movies so make sure your site is different from others....

2. K.V.D.Prasad

Try weebly web service.

• Erlis Dhima

If you read others comments, you will see that I'm not searching for a web service.. (There are a lot out there! And the best, of course, WordPress..)
      But, anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

3. Patrick Jackson

Hey, come on everyone! There's no sort of such websites which allows streaming of movies but without any copyrights at all! Don't you agree, eh? ;)

Whatever, if you compose you own movies, like an animated or what not, you can use YouTube to submit you video under 'Creative Commons' license, if interested.

Else, you can use VideoPress. As you know WordPress, the service is by its creator, Automattic. You so can use the service properly.

But do remember to apply some watermark or place your logo in a corner, just to be sure!

Do tell about your endeavors and do give me free access to it if a paid service! :)

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks a lot for your comment and for your advice! But, I'm not talking about a site that streams movies without copyrights and such... I want a legal site, where collaboration will make this a real project, and not some fun site!
      About the fun site, I can create one, and maybe create the team for it too...
      But still, I want a really good page, and not some fun site(as I just said you)!

• Patrick Jackson

If that is so, a big round of applause for you! And, hey

For this, you need first to build up a community which is dedicated in film making, as it is pretty 'i'mpossible' (I have intentionally included an extra "'' :)) to start asking for producers without building a reputation of your web service, if I am right.

Also my friend, it is a long way to go if you are looking for streaming high amount of data and it would require you to pay big time on hosting your website in a dedicated server!

Start by making it free but with users have to register an account in the web site. You can buy a decent server and use an ISDN connection for data transfers. You can build your own streaming server (just search for it if you are really interested), or use a third-party services like Amazon to make it easier.

Listen, it would require a large amount of investment and you may land up empty handed if failed.

So remember, think a trillion times for sure before venturing in your dream project. So keep your head high, but start by looking at the earth, if you know what I mean! ;)

That's all that I can say! :)

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks for your advices and for the courage you gave me!
          And, of course, I've always thought a million times before taking a step! So, maybe in a near future, my question will be: What do you think of my site now that it got real? :D

Give up. You will never get the rights, so forget movies.

User uploads? Give up. You would need flash streaming media server - expensive - and/or vast pots of money to find hosting / CDN. Seriously, this isnt just a hobby project anyone can try.

Here's an idea: come up with a unique idea for a website that hasnt already been done a million times by people with deeper pockets than you.

• Erlis Dhima

I'm not talking about a simple hobby... I'm talking about a project! If I can create a team, than maybe this project may become reality! But, creating that team is the most difficult thing of all! I don't know if this will remain a dream or not, but unless I don't give up, maybe one day, it will become try! I always loved the television world... So why not dream?
      About the unique ideas, I have a lot, but as you said, my pockets can't take it!
      So, I have to wait for some more time, and maybe some things will change!
      As I told you, I haven't found anyone here at my place, that have the same courage as me... Or willing to take the risk, for such big projects I have in my mind! Anyway, hope things change in the future! :)

• Patrick Jackson

James, that was a bit harsh, isn't it?

Still, you are very much right in your approach. But look at Pintrest. When we had heavyweight champions for sure Google+ and Facebook, it still got a million users!

Jot the jest? :)

• Erlis Dhima

Right! :)

• Vipul Jain

and that dumb Instagram too. No offense to Instagram lovers.. :/

• Patrick Jackson

LOL! ;)

• Patrick Jackson

@Erlis, last but not the least, we helped you a lot in the process in clearing your doubts.

Do return the favour by giving us free accounts for unlimited period. Okay? :)

• Erlis Dhima

Hhahah... XD
          Of course, when the time comes, I will for sure! :D

• Vipul Jain

i agree XD

• Vipul Jain

• Jack Cola

I would have to agree with James here when I first read this, but not with your idea, but with you.

1) WordPress, HTML/CSS - that's the easy stuff which most people know how to do. With that knowledge alone, you won't be able to create something like YouTube/ Hulu - you at least need to hire a development, if not a team of developers and that could be expensive, unless they all get a stake in the company.

2) You are asking this question on MakeUseOf. This isn't the best platform to ask for this sort of advice. You need to be reading startup/entrepreneur websites, looking for angel investors, ycombinator etc which is a completly different audience than what MUO has.

Sorry to be a bit harsh, but I'm not a risk taker. Based on your question, I think I am a bit like you and I think this is an incredibly large project. After doing an entrepreneur course at Uni I wouldn't ask this on MUO - you need to ask this question to startup investors. If you find someone willing to back you up, then GO FOR IT!!! But I think you will have a hard time finding someone to invest in you, unless you can prove to them you have motivation and determination (which I think you do, so that's a plus).

But like Vipul said, you need feedback and research. Google the "Business Model Canvas", fill it out, and go from there.

I wish you best of luck, and I for your sake if you do begin this project, I hope what I say is wrong in my number list.

Personally, I think this market is full - I wouldn't try to enter it unless you have a completely different angle. Imagine how many people will be using Google+ if Google didn't create it. E.g So.cl or Diaspora - have you heard them?

• Jack Cola

Oh, and you are dealing with Movies. Just look at all the court cases going on, BitTorrent etc. I hope you have good lawyers.

• Erlis Dhima

I agree with a lot of things you just said but, I have some things to tell you:
          1. Where are this better sites to make this question? Any suggestion?
          2. If you don't take a risk, then stay home and sleep, and you will see what good will come from it! Will it be the life interesting??
          3. Maybe I have some ideas but, is it really good if I share all my ideas?? Some are needed to stay secret for some time, right?
          4. About the Movies, I'm talking for everything done in legal ways, which means, no copyright problems = no court cases (probably...)

I hope my ideas come true some day!! But I really have to thank you and all the others, for giving your ideas! It's not about giving only courage, but also for showing the bad and good sites.. So that you know where to take a step, and not be blind! (for your own good! )

5. Vipul Jain

that is a huggeee project.
    You will need copyrights (yes, lol), staff to handle numerous accounts and cash transactions that people would make (you obviously wouldn't allow all movies to be viewed for free?)
    Country restrictions are put by the owner site, so if you are hosting the video, unless you choose to, there will be no restrictions.
    As for the player, i don't have that knowledge, sorry :)

• Erlis Dhima

Yeah, I know it's a huge project! That's why I like it! But about copyrights and other things, you are right!! But it will be a dream, that maybe it will come true one day! :D

• Vipul Jain

Since you are really serious about this, i'll give some serious suggestions.

i'd suggest you gather some cash for a year or so separate for this business. (Yes it will be a full fledged business and you should start it up with extra cash not primary income).

Now over this 1 year also think of ideas that can differentiate your site from other competitors like netflix and others.

Think of a very catchy name, it will be really important (you cannot hope people to visit a site called watchmoviesonlineguys.com :D)

Now also check history of the successful and failed attempts at making this category of sites. Include some success formulas, beware of those failure reasons.

Start building some reputation. Buy a small subscription for web hosting & domain and host one page with the site name, logo, masthead and coming soon. You can add a suggestion page as well or contact us.

Now use Google spreadsheet to create a free form and prepare a questionnaire that would gather people's opinion on various factors (best movie site, why, would you adopt a new one, etc etc) think a alot, but keep it short, no one likes to fill tons of questions. Keep options instead of text boxes. I recently made one for my Luggage market analysis project in MBA, you can refer it

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFF4bVBnZlFzT3hXV3hOSGkzTHlfRXc6MQ

Once it is prepared, SPAM it everywhere to get responses. After you have all the data, analyse to see if your project is viable or not. Like if 60-70% do not appreciate a new alternative i think you should think again.

As of now, i lost track of my idea train, if i remember more, i'll write again. Good luck :D

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks a lot man! You gave me a lot of courage! Also, about the site name, you are absolutely right! (funny that example.. lol XD)
          I will collect my ideas, knowledge and money too, and maybe this project will come true someday!
          With your answer, I call this question solved!
          If you have something else to add, I'll be glad! :)

• Vipul Jain

lol, mba (specially marketing concepts) sure give you a new way of looking at things.
          3 months back i'd have just commented "nice idea, lol" XD