How do I build a processor?

Japheth Godsave September 4, 2012

How would one manufacture one’s personal processor? If am to make one for the first time or possibly create an effective one, how would it be done?

1. Dave Rimmer

Don't think anyone on here can explain it to you just give you links which you can google yourself, good luck.

There are a variety of companies in China that will manufacture devices for you based on whatever specifications you supply them with. Oftentimes these devices are ARM based.

Michael Arrington of TechCrunch infamously contracted with a number of Chinese and American companies to build the prototype CrunchPad, which predated the iPad by a year. Unfortunately, the project ended up failing, but it proved that you could go from concept to product within a matter of months, even with no experience in product design, marketing, financing, etc...

http://techcrunch.com/2009/06/03/crunchpad-the-launch-prototype/

3. Rob Hindle

Well yes, I guess what you mean is build a PC. But building a processor might be fun... http://knexcomputer.blogspot.co.uk/

4. Erlis Dhima

Next year, I hope I get the degree in Electronic Engineering! (Not quite sure, since this school is hard as hell)
    And after this, you need specialization in processors.
    But to create one yourself, I think it's impossible, 'cause you need advanced techniques, and advanced equipments!

5. Dalsan

Are you wanting to build a CPU (central processing unit) or a personal computer (PC, desktop)? Choice of words can mean a world of difference. Building a CPU is far more difficult than a single person can ever even try to do, especially with how explosive it can be if not performed in the right environment. Building a desktop PC, however, is rather simple so long as you follow instructions and take proper precautions to make sure static electricity does not destroy parts of the computer while putting it together.

The first step these days is generally a degree in Electrical Engineering with a specialization in processors. That alone would cost tens of thousands and the required machinery to create an effictive, efficient processor would cost tens of millions for a small plant not to mention the time required for the development of a new processor. This also leads me to wonder why you would want to create your own processor. Unless you are looking at a completely different way of making them, it is cheaper by far to just buy an Intel or AMD processor from a local computer or electronics shop.