What’s the best way – to build or buy a gaming laptop?
Question by Mariomaster100 /

Would it be cheaper to buy a gaming laptop or buy the parts and build it?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Sjbrundage

Hey Guys.. I just bought a gaming pc from Cyberpowerpc.com. They have amazing prices. They build the entire thing for you and ship it right to your house. Best purchase ive ever made!!!!!

• Aircool

wow advertiser from a site of scammers lol…. Don’t even need to go to the site!! lol

• Jshm2

Building a gaming laptop is not as easy as you think and it’s only for advanced users really. Some modders have changed a PS3 into a laptop. But really what you want is a decent alaptop that you can ocer clock and mod and you’ll not get better than the Dell Studio 15 for that.

• Kevinb7404

I think that it would be your decision as to what you want to do but if I had the money and the time I would build my own PC for one reason is that you will appreciate it more and you can install what you want to install in it as for hardware like processors and drives and your own software buying a PC from a computer store may be cheaper but some computers have preinstalled software the you may never use and sometimes you can’t uninstall it unless you know how and also buying a PC you will have to accept the hardware that is already installed in it

• Jack Cola

I would think it is cheaper to build your own PC.

Make Use Of has a few PDF guides on PC hardware and building your own gaming machine that you may want to read:

Building your own PC – http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/the-guide-build-your-own-pc

Building a gaming PC – http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/build-a-gaming-pc

And we are also in the process of writing a detailed PDF guide on PC hardware and software for you to lookout for in the coming months.

• Steven Mazliach

After I built my gaming pc, I realized that it would have been much less expensive to just buy a pre-built pc with similar components. Then again, building your own pc is more fun and is worth the extra money.

• M.S. Smith

I have a hard time thinking of a situation where a gaming PC would be cheaper to buy pre-built than to build yourself.

Agree with Jack, building a gaming/regular desktop should be way cheaper than buying one.

• Ryan Dube

Mario – you can start with barebones kits, as Smith mentions, but building a gaming laptop with high-performance components will definitely cost a lot more to build than it would to buy a high-performance laptop for gaming.

On the flip side – building your own laptop means that when you’re done you’ll have a laptop that performs better than most anything else on the commercial market – but expect to pay the price.

The real question is what matters more to you – saving money or performance. If money is no object, I’d definitely build a customized gaming laptop using high-end components.

• M.S. Smith

Building a gaming laptop is barely possible. I believe there are some barebones kits you can purchase, but by the time you get together all the parts and the barebones kit you end up spending just as much as buying the laptop.

Plus, you don’t get a warranty. I don’t recommend Alienware – they’re well built but generally overpriced. Instead check out the ASUS G series.

True. Alienware is overpriced. But they do offer some of the best components and accessories along with the laptop.

• pceasies

You’re paying for the looks and programmable LEDs as well when buying Alienware. Modding a laptop with a similar light system easily costs $100.

• Mariomaster100

Is Asus as good as Alienware?

• M.S. Smith

Yes, they are. The G51 and G73 are particularly good. The thing to remember is that all laptop manufacturers are drawing from the EXACT SAME pool of internal components. An ASUS laptop with a Core i7 and a Mobile 5870 will perform about the same as an Alienware with those components.

Alienware laptops are nicely constructed, and they have a certain look to them. But I don’t think that those benefits are worth paying several hundred dollars more for the same hardware.

I can’t say much about building a gaming laptop. You’d probably have to visit your local/favorite hardware store for that. However, if you want to buy a pretty powerful gaming laptop for yourself, there’s probably no better place to go than Alienware. Alienware was taken over by Dell sometime last year, so you’d want to go to the Dell website and select Alienware from there.

http://www.dell.com

• Brian

no, alienware sucks since dell bought them. ALOT of people have been complaining there alienware cptrs have been breaking or dying after a couple of months.

• Guest

yeah… i’d go with razer :D