Why do I get the BSOD when trying to burn DVDs after initializing a USB hard disk on a different drive letter?

David September 20, 2010

I added a USB hard disk. I chose the next available drive letter when I initialized it, which was G. My main hard disk is partitioned into drives C and D; I have a CD/DVD reader on drive E and a CD/DVD burner on drive F

Now when I try to burn a DVD on drive E it gives me the Windows Vista blue screen of death. Happens every time. Appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

well then this can result in a coflict with the new driver. did you checked the minidump file to have more info. You can uninstal the driver and installed it again. It does not matter sorry that I mentioned xp since didnt knew your OS.Try to do the same thing with who crashed installedalso do not forget to read the minidump file.Do you have other soft installed like sandboxie, returnil, virtual clone, daemon tools.

Also check your Bios to see if all are well detetcted
    try in the list of your disks not to auto, but on USER (attention, just for the hard disk not CD players / DVD).

Also which soft are you using for burning cd

• David

Thanks again for your suggestions. I'll follow them through and let you know what I find.

so, how did it go?

2. David

Thanks but I don't think that's the answer. I'm running Vista not XP, USB hard disk has it's own power supply and is connected directly to a USB port on the PC (not through a USB hub). This problem occurred only after I installed the new disk drive. Thanks.

Hi
    If yhee power plug has your DVD player and also connected to the hard disk, then this can be a problem.

If it the other USB devices are on the same root hub then they will be sharing the available power supply. USB hard drives often draw more current than they should anyway so this could be part of the problem.

Normally you shoud have a minidump file created with BSOD. c:windowsminidump
    A Common Cause Of The 0xC0000005 Error:

The error 0xC0000005 is generated by an illegal "memory access violation". This can be caused by anything from faulty RAM, an incorrect/corrupt device driver, poorly written/updated software and more commonly under Windows XP Service pack 2, malware/adware installations.

BlueScreenView
    http://majorgeeks.com/BlueScreenView_d6200.html

whocrashed
    http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Debugging Tools for Windows 32-bit Version
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

First to install the drivers before plugging in the device.
    then shutting down, plugging it in, then rebooting.

Some reported BSOD when SP1 was installed, so try to uninstal and see

try to reinstal your cd/dvd driver
    Open Device Manager. Do that by pressing Windowskey/Break key
    > >> together. Click Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
    > >> - Locate DVD/CD-ROM drives, click the + to the left.
    > >> - Right-click each device, click Uninstal, reboot then windows will reinstal it, otherwise search in the web a new driver