What is the best browser for specific tasks like research, and web design and web cam chat?

Kevin Lee September 23, 2012

I don’t know the difference between Dolphin, SeaMonkey, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Internet Explorer 9? I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium.

1. Aswin Kumar Nayakann

Go for Firefox.You will have seperate addons for each of the tasks you prefer to do....

2. Pwince Khan

firefox..even if it doesnt supports what you need..then you can download add ons/plugins as you need

3. Alex Perkins

Chrome has the Google integration going for it, and to me it seems the fastest i've tried.

4. VS Vishnu

chrome chrome chrome

5. Alex Downs

Firefox is definitely one of the best for Web Design, but I prefer Chrome, because, for me at least, it loads faster.

6. Reý Aetar

Firefox and chrome are best out there but agree or not chrome is made for google services so go for FIREFOX its the best for you

7. Deekshith Allamaneni

Firefox is the best as you can have all the features you want by installing extensions.

8. Henry Lahman

Chrome is fast with great support and extensions
    Firefox is really stable and has amazing extension support
    IE9 has many websites specifically designed for it (because it is less standards compliant)
    Opera has a cool feature of pre-rendering the webpage on their servers (handy if you're on someone's slow wifi)
    Dolphin and Seamonkey are really not aimed at people like you; they're fringe geek browsers

• dragonmouth

"Dolphin and Seamonkey are really not aimed at people like you; they’re fringe geek browsers"

I'm sorry to have to correct you but SeaMonkey is not a "fringe geek browser." It is meant for the same audience as IE, Chrome, Firefox and Opera. SeaMonkey is an all-in-one internet application suite containing a web-browser, e-mail client, newsgroup and feed client, IRC chat, and HTML editor components. The web browser component is none other than Firefox, which you say "is really stable and has amazing extension support." The e-mail client is Thunderbird.

It is quite possible that an internet application suite may more than Kevin Lee needs or wants. In that case I would not recommend SeaMonkey because it is too much of a software, not because it is for "fringe geeks."

9. Klevis Krasniqi

I use google chrome but more for connecting to people and for research as I too am a web designer. Sometimes I use firefox.

I think chrome is the one. Its sharp and speedy so you can move around quickly!

10. Swaroop Nunna

I prefer Firefox or Chrome.
    You can see comparison here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers

11. HLJonnalagadda

For research I found this cool utility called Zotero. It is used to collate all the research sources in one location. Available for Firefox. And for web design, I would suggest Firebug.

12. Jhon H. Caicedo

Your question is too broad but here is my attempt to answer, based on my personal usage.

My main browser is Firefox, is great for web development (firebug is great) and can be customized using addons, I also use it to organize my research and documentation. The downside is that usually takes more resources than other browsers. The best of firefox, is that is open source so you can contribute and make it better, of fix something that you don't like.

- Google Chrome is "fast" and works very well, I usually use it for watching video, audio etc. for the common user this is my recommended.

-IE9 is good (not excellent) but way too better than IE7/IE8, I usually use it for testing of websites, has good development tools included, I don't use it for everyday navigation.

• Jhon H. Caicedo

Just to complete, I also use Firefox under Linux and that's a great advantage to me, having the same addons on both platforms.

13. Rob Hindle

Probably Firefox + add-ins.
    Personally I often have Firefox, Chrome and Explorer all open for different reasons

Explorer mostly for when I find a website that misbehaves in the other browsers.
    Firefox because of the developer tool add ins
    Chrome because it plays well with other Google properties

14. bonioloff

You ask browser for specific task, but you want many functions, i think that not specific again..
    You just need to use firefox, or chrome, they are good..if not the best.

15. Sachin Kanchan

You would be needing a wide range of extensions for different purposes like web design or chatting.

But for web research I would recommend google Chrome, it is light, fast & handy and you can search right through the address bar itself.

But I have often faced problems in displaying of web pages (incomplete content, or without social sharing buttons ). Although this might be due to a faulty installation or other reasons.

If you to suffer from such problems, you may as well give firefox or 'safari' a try. But these are not as fast as chrome, but work just as fine.

IE9 can also be a good option, if speed is the least of your worries.

16. Kernel Recovery Tools

I think google chrome is best among of these browsers for research and webcam chat. Its lighter then other browsers. But if you are a web designer then you should check your designs in IE because 70% people use internet explorer.

• Jhon H. Caicedo

P.S: I think IE usage has dropped to below 50%, some sites event report it at 30-35%(http://gs.statcounter.com/)

• Deekshith Allamaneni

Lighter than other browsers???
      No, I do nto agree at all. It is far more heavier than Firefox due to its multiple processes structure.

• Deekshith Allamaneni

Your answer might be correct any time earlier but after Firefox 15, Firefox is much lighter than Chrome.

If you are into web design I suggest to use multiple browsers. You should check your sites at least with Internet Explorer, Firefox and some Webkit based one e.g. Chrome or Safari. This will cover the experience of most visitors.

For any other task it's mostly about your preference and extensions. A year ago I would have suggested Opera all the way but in my opinion it got so overloaded with features that I switched to Chrome.

18. Erlis Dhima

I will add something.. For web design, I would suggest you Firefox! Install Web Developer & Firebug addon for mozilla, and you can do great things with them... :)
    About research & Web Cam Chat, you should be more specific...

19. flower king

It's not about the browser, but the kind of extensions you use to enable the required productivity. e.g using Evernote, Diigo etc plugins to organise yourself with the research - available both for chrome and firefox. Firebug is one useful for webdesign. Also the inbuilt developer productivity tools you can use with almost all the leading browsers by pressing F12. SO basically your requirements is independent of the browsers, but how you can extend their functionality using Add-on's or extensions.

• salim benhouhou

i totally agree with you

• Pwince Khan

agree