Why does my browser open this URL when I’m on Facebook?

ninja riter July 21, 2010

Whenever I am on Facebook, and this only happens on Facebook, another window will open with the url www.krepitrash.com. I will then get a bogus status on Facebook.

I use Firefox and Windows Vista. I have run Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, Hitman pro, and others. What is causing this and how do I get rid of it?

1. Irunwithscissors2

1 - go to cnet.com - downland and run a program called malwarebytes.
    2-boot up in safe mode by taping the f8 key on boot. select OS with up and down arrow keys.
    3-from start type msconfig hit enter. uncheck all start up programs.click save/exit without restart.
    4-run malwarebytes , full scan , delete whatever it finds.
    5-reboot after in regular mode , retype msconfig. check all boxes .
    6-reboot ones more and see if problem still exist.
    7- if have same problem go back to cnet.com , download superantispyware , do same steps saving SAS-Ware to desktop to run.90 percent chance this will clean up all spyware.
    I.T. Microsoft certified Professional.

• Conserverator

Hey (M)ust (C)onsult (S)omeone (E)lse -

You're really living up to your screen name. Per OP: "I have run Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, Hitman pro, and others." Notice they're not ask how to remove any results.

Better get a refund on that "certification" you took.

2. The Doctor

As another poster stated, does this occur from other computers? If you don't have access to another, download a copy of an Ubuntu LiveCD image (you won't need to burn it) & download, install VirtualBox (both software titles are free). Setup a quick little virtual machine, booting from the Ubuntu CD Image (.ISO). Load up Facebook in Firefox & see what happens.

If it still comes up, that's an indication it's something going on w/ FB or some installed FB app; otherwise, somethings buggered in Windows.

3. Scott_T

you could try a bootable antivirus cd too, kaspersky and avg both have a free one.

4. Josh Fox

It could be your hosts file, which can be altered when infected by a virus. The only thing I've found to fix this is HijackThis from Trend Micro. It's free to use, but can be potentially dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. If you go this route, I would suggest looking for the "o1" code only, which is the code for hosts file redirects. The scan will look for ANYTHING that is not default, so just because it finds a lot of stuff, it doesn't mean it's a bad thing, such as changing the homepage in IE to Google, or having browser helper objects installed. For a full list of what the codes mean, you can check out this tutorial. http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.php

• Jack Cola

If you choose to go down the path of using HiJackThis, I would strongly suggest uploading your output to HiJackThis.de. It is a website that analyise it for you and you can get more information about what is good and should be running and what is bad that shouldn't be.

I use it all the time, just to make sure nothing bad is running such as Keyloggers (because I don't have antivirus software installed)

5. Peacock_eric

very odd malwarebytes hasn't fixed problem. have you run scans in normal AND safe modes?
    (attn everyone, no matter what anti-malware program you use, including malwarebytes, a "quick scan" is a waste of time. you should ALWAYS do a "Full Scan" and just deal with the hour or more it takes)

=if you have more than 2GB RAM, download & Install Ad-Aware free=

=(EVERYONE SHOULD DO THIS ONE:) Google for & download spywareBlaster (one word)
    install & (choose manual update for free version) update, then go to main page, (make sure all internet browsers are closed) towards bottom click "enable all protection"=

=go to control panel, (click on "classic view" if you're not already on it)
    open internet options
    click "security" tab
    click on "Restricted Sites"
    click button "Sites"
    type in *.krepitrash.com
    click add
    click close
    click OK
    Open Firefox
    Click File, Import
    (make sure Internet Explorer radio button is chosen) keep clicking Next until done.

this may not stop pop-up, but will not allow access to website from your computer.=

try using Chrome

or just switch to Linux - ubuntu and PCLinuxOS very easy to use. you can run off of live cd and it will be faster than vista. (everything's faster than vista...)
    then just reboot back into windows to play games.

In Facebook, click Account --> Application settings and delete any applications you no longer use or don't trust.

Or go to Account --> Privacy Settings, click "edit your settings" under "Application and websites" and turn all Facebook applications off.

If the site doesn't popup anymore, it would have been a "Facebook Virus" as they would call it. If it still appears, it would be something on your computer.

Does it come up when you are posting on other computers?

7. Aaron Patrick Blumrich

google spybot search and destroy. that program does a very good job scanning and removing just about every malware spyware and bot known to the civilized world

8. Ninja riter

Thank you Jessica. I have actually done that to no avail. Trying not to have to reinstall the OS, but if I end up not getting any other ideas I guess I'll have to.

9. Jessica Cam W.

So searching for your problem on Google, I found that you're not the only one affected by this malware problem that may have come from downloaded torrents.

You could try restarting your computer, pressing F8 on bootup to get to Safe Mode and run scans in order to detect and eliminate the malware source. The person in the forum ended up having to reinstall his OS, but you could also look at the other suggestions in the thread.