Why does my browser open new pages in Arabic and how can I set the default to English?

Antonette Francisco April 24, 2012

When I open a new tab and search for a new site, it appears in Arabic. How can I make it into English format?

1. Joe Boylan

I need a multi-language facility with Google, which handles English, Hungarian and Romanian at choice including Google Translate. We need this for our family which handles all three languages. I am English and need the English facility most of the time. I need to know how to handle "default language" for all three family computers. What is the answer please?

• Oron

There are several solutions to this, none of them perfect.
      One is to have shortcuts to the different "googles" so you can search each one separately, but this means you can't search through the toolbar/address bar in all languages.
      Another is to install multiple search providers, one for each languages (click on wrench icond, Settings, Search, [Manage Search Engines]). With this, switching between search engines is cumbersome.
      Another way would be to use three browsers, and set the search engine for each of them to a different language, e.g. Chrome - English, Firefox - Hungarian, Internet Explorer - Romanian. The disadvantages are obvious, but at least it would work.
      I work in multiple languages myself, and support multilingual users, and at the moment there really isn't any satisfactory solution.

2. shirin

When I open a new tab and search for a new site with Google chrome, it appears in Germany . How can I make it into English format?

• Oron

See the same page ha14 provides above.

• Joe Boylan

Thank you Oron for your advice on 'multi-language needs'. Just one small point for me though (I must crawl before I can walk).
        Changing the default is my first step. In your reply to Ha 14, when I right click the address bar I only get a drop down menu which does not include "Edit Search Engines". By the address bar I presume you mean the whole bar which carries the SE target address. Anywhere I click this bar I get the same menu - except when I click just after the 'Forward' button. This gives me a new d.d. menu which has "Make English the default language for Google Chrome Search: Humbug" but this is not quite the same thing, so what am I doing wrong?

• Oron

Joe, are you using Chrome? Humbug's instructions work on my computer, but if they don't on yours then try the second method I outline below, it takes you to the same dialogue box!

perhaps to right click address bar and choose Edit Search Engines
    follow this
    http://www.humbug.in/2010/make-english-the-default-language-for-google-chrome-search/