Why does my browser lag so much while every other program on my computer works fine?

Cristián T February 10, 2014

So I just recently cleared my browser and checked for viruses and spyware in attempts to prevent my browser from lagging.

I notice that my browser lags often, particularly when I am streaming a video from it. So I’m wondering how to make my browser able to play videos without making everything lag, and to find out what else is causing it to lag (because it’s not just videos that are making my browser lag, but I don’t know what other things are) so that my browser can run smoothly and normally the way I want it to.

Thank you very much.

I agree with Dalsan. The first things to check are add-ons and plug-ins. Try disabling all of them and then using the browser. If the problem goes away, start reintroducing the add-ons one by one until you find the culprit.
    Hardware acceleration options are a possibility, but before that I'd try clearing the cache (Tools=>Clear Browsing Data, choose "from: the beginning of time", "Delete cookies etc", "Empty the cache" and "Clear data from hosted apps" and click [Clear browsing data]).

• Cristián T

I tried disabling all add-ons and plug-ins except for Adobe Flash Player, and yet the problem persists. I've also tried clearing my browsing data as I mentioned above, which didn't seem to solve the problem. I haven't tried Dalsan's second solution, which was to disable hardware acceleration in Chrome, since the link he provided leads me to a page that has "GPU compositing on all pages" listed under "Unavailable experiments" which means that all ability to modify that feature has been disabled. I notice that some of the features on this page have operating systems listed by them, such as Windows, Mac, and Linux. I also noticed that with this information in mind, I can't seem to find "Windows" listed in correspondence to "GPU compositing on all pages".

1) open cmd with administrative rights
    2) type: ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter
    3) type: exit and hit enter
    4) reboot

reset rooter

• Cristián T

I tried doing this on my computer and nothing seems to have changed, as far as I know.

so streaming was fine until you started getting lag problem? perhaps your security tools causing this just disable for a while and do your streaming.

Fix Google Chrome Slow
      https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/8OM0BLWR3vM

if yo have plenty of RAM maybe you can create RAM Disk?

you have to think also to reinstall Chrome maybe there is a bug in flash updating procedure?

on chrome address bar type: about:gpu
      check if there is anything suspicious

I would check your browser add-ons and plug-ins to see if they are causing some of the issues you mention. Google Chrome has become rather resource hungry recently, and having many add-ons, or ones that would take more resources, could cause slow performance. Disable all add-ons, and enable them one by one until you notice a major impact on performance. If you disable all add-ons and still have the issues, there may be other issues or reasons going on.

Another possibility would be hardware acceleration issues, which you can try to disable or enable some of the hardware acceleration options. Try the instructions here to turn off or on hardware acceleration: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/271264-chrome-gpu-hardware-acceleration-turn-off.html.

• Cristián T

The page has "GPU compositing on all pages" listed under "Unavailable Experiments" so unfortunately I'll have to disable hardware acceleration through alternate means.

• Cristián T

I tried disabling all of the plugins (except Adobe Flash Player) and it still lags a lot. I notice that the first few minutes of the video run fine, but after that it becomes very choppy and eventually slows down the rest of my computer.

Also I can't disable hardware acceleration through the method you showed me, because "GPU compositing on all pages" is listed under "Unavailable experiments", so all the options to modify this function are unavailable.

• Oron J

If the streaming slows down after a few minutes, then it's not a problem with the computer as such, and certainly not with Chrome, but rather a network issue. It could be a problem with your provision (i.e. with the ISP), or, just possibly, with your MTU settings. You can try a program such as TCPOptimiser to tweak your MTU size and see if that makes a difference. It's more likely however that's is to do with your ISP limiting your network speed ("throttling") or simply sharing the bandwidth with too many other users.

• Dalsan M

What kind of GPU do you have, integrated or separate graphics card, AMD or Nvidia? Check the settings for your GPU to see if there is an option to apply settings to the web browser; AMD's Catalyst Control Center has an option in the advanced settings, and I'm sure Nvidia graphics would have a similar option.

At this point, I would try another browser to see if it happens there as well. If video streaming still lags, then I would have to go with Oron's suggestion.