What browser makes it easiest for me to share custom toolbars I’ve made with my friends and colleagues?

Joe Videtto May 15, 2012

Hi all,

I go to great lengths to set up toolbars (I use Firefox) that make my Internet tasks and navigation easier, and would like to easily share them with friends who would find them useful.

1. What’s the easiest way to do this in Firefox – does the version matter? We don’t all have the same Firefox version.

2. Are there other browsers that make this easier?

Thanks,
Joe

1. Cliff Mccullar

well both firefox and chrome have a huge community for adding features to the browser. However in my opinion chrome does have one huge advantage over firefox in how it handles user created scripts. It is MUCH easier to get them to work, in fact for firefox you have to add a plugin to even use user created scripts. As well with chrome you can set up additional apps/websites in button form to appear every time you open a new tab or to even be that way when u first open the browser. say you always go to youtube/yahoo/here so they would all make a good homepage...but instead of choosing just 1 site to show you could have all 3(or 10+) a click away when you open the browser.

As far as verion differences go: it depends. different versions handle the instructions differently, often however the toolbar/website itself will tell you what versions it is compatible with. So simply check that before making a final choice.

2. guthagowtham

Use Rockmeit browser.

http://www.rockmelt.com/

3. Bijoy

I prefer google chrome. Because google offers the best of internet.

4. Joe Videtto

I realize I should have phrased my question differently:

I make heavy use of
    1.) the Yahoo toolbar, to which I've added many links via "Edit apps" which function ans bookmarks to my most heavily visited sites
    2.) the Firefox navigation toolbar – which again does the same

Both contain convenient button links, putting all my most visited sites one click away from my Home page. I like the fact that I can easily change the right-left order of my Firefox "Navigation Toolbar" - haven't yet figured out how to do this in the Yahoo toolbar. Susendeep below gave a procedure for sharing the Firefox Navigation Toolbar, but I'm hoping for something easier; I'd like to prevent my friends, not quite past 'turning the computer on' on the learning curve, to not have to worry about 'profiles' (though I suppose I could learn to write a one-click script embedded in an email that would copy the necessary profile files as Susendeep suggested - but I'm not a great scripter, would take me a long time)

I have a few friends that have the same interests as I, and I'd like to give them my configured Yahoo toolbar, or Firefox Navigation Toolbar.

The question is - what's the easiest way to do this ? I'm willing to use an entirely different toolbar that sits at the top of the browser and lets you be one click away from the recommended sites.

Perhaps I should have asked - what books could I learn to create my own custom toolbar add-ins, that has my list of recommended 'button' links, ordered from left to right with my most used favorites first ?

I know there are lots of 'bookmarks' apps on the web, but my friends are just learning to use the computer, and I was hoping for the simplicity of 'right in their face when they open their browsers, and 1 click away'.

Which browser are you using to test your toolbars and what if any problems are you having with it.

• Susendeep Dutta

He's using Firefox.

6. Susendeep Dutta

You can do the following -

Backup your profile data and then deleting all passwords,history,site preferences,active logins and then again creating another profile backup which you can mail it to your friends.That profile backup will contain only your bookmarks,extensions.After that you can restore your own profile which contains your saved passwords and other stuffs.

Click on the link below to know how to create a profile backup and restore it -

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Backing%20up%20your%20information

Regarding opening local Windows application, for example, Avast web rep addon,your friends PC must have Avast antivirus installed.

7. Oron

Joe, I don't have an answer to this but was wondering what you meant by "toolbars" -- a collection of bookmarks, or more than this?

• Joe Videtto

For example, I was referring to the following tools I use
      1.) the little application buttons that Yahoo makes available on their toolbar to quickly navigate to a website
      2.) the Firefox navigation toolbar - which does the same
      3.) some other Browser toolbar utility I haven't seen yet - that lets you define your little buttons or navigation icons that will take you to internet websites, or perhaps even open local applications the way the Windows taskbar allows you to open apps.

While I know how to configure these on my browser, and operating system, I'd like to configure them for my friends by emailing a config file they could copy to the right place, rather than have to set them all up by hand.