Why does my browser download this .html link instead of opening it as a page?

Divit Dsouza April 12, 2012

When URLs ending with .html are clicked, aren’t they supposed to load a HTML page?

I was searching for a sample html file and I came across this: http://openplattform.googlecode.com/files/Sample%20HTML%20File.html

When I clicked it, it started downloading instead of opening in the browser. Is that possible? Or is there something wrong with my browser? And if it is possible, how is it done?

Sorry for my bad english, thanks!

To answer your actual question - no. Just because it ends in html doesnt mean it will open in the browser as a link. It depends upon the server settings as to how the file is delivered to you. Technical speaking, if its set to be sent as an octet stream (just a raw stream of bits) it will *download*. If it's set to as filetype:html, then yes it will be opened in your browser. It's the same with pdfs - we used to have our free guides delivered as a file because users were impatient when they loaded in the browser and dint understand why they saw a blank screen. Nowadays, I've switched it back to download as a PDF, so users computers can do what they want with it.

In this case, Google has set it up to download because thats the intented use by the sounds of it.