How can I get my Brother printer to print wirelessly from Windows 7?
Question by Jason Womack /

I own a Brother MFC-490CW printer. I recently switched to Windows 7 and I have not been able to get my computer and printer to talk.

When I print the Network Config page for the printer, all the information seems in order–that is, it is getting an IP address via DHCP. When I ping the address from my laptop, it says that the address is unreachable. I have a working connection to the Internet, as I’ve checked the details via the ipconfig.

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

I would start troubleshooting by setting the printer to a static IP. 
    Using DHCP requires communication to go by the device hostname which isn’t really reliable. The best way is to communicate directly via IP  ~ which in return requires it to be static, otherwise you would have to reinstall the printer every single time it gets a new IP.http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/us/us/en/faq/faq/000000/002500/000086/faq002586_000.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc490cw_all&Cat=114Follow from Step 1 all the way down – it explains you how to add the printer directly via TCP/IP. 

As for the Wireless Network setup follow the guide within the manual and make sure everything is properly selected.
    If you want the printer to join an existing WiFi network make sure you select “infrastructure mode”, the network name (SSID) matches your existing WiFi (Warning: case sensitive!) and the correct authentication and encryption method is selected. The network key, again, is case sensitive.

I also recommend to setup the network using a wired connection and the Brother Utility. This will (sort of) ensure the above settings are correct and will also test whether the connection is working or not.

• Jaymack70

I wasn’t really sure how to set up the printer staticly, but I went ahead and gave it a static IP, and it’s been working fine ever since.  The odd thing is that the netgear firmware does not show the printer as an attached device.  You would think since it’s been assigned a static IP (in this case, 192.168.1.2) that it would show up.  Anyway, thanks for the follow up.