Would bridging a second router enhance the signal to another location in my house?

Anonymous August 30, 2014

Regarding bridging another older wireless router. Would this method enhance the signal to my wireless Roku device that’s in another location of the house? The Roku is just a wireless device; no wired connection.

Bridging as the name suggests, means you build a bridge between two things, in this case from an Ethernet cable, via the wireless bridge back to an Ethernet cable.
    In a real world scenario that usually means that your second router is acting just like a wireless client, a device and doesn't offer any wireless signal itself. The second router would only offer wired access.

If you want to have a wireless connection between the two routers while also offering wireless access on the second one you have two options:
    (1) Repeater
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater
    (2) Repeater Bridge
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Neither one is guaranteed to work on "every" router you have lying around. It works on some, it doesn't work on others. In most cases, you do need a custom firmware like DD-WRT to be able to do it as the stock firmware often doesn't have that option.

Your other option would be to simply setup the second router as a wireless access point offering it's own wireless network, or allowing "roaming access" by using the same SSID and security settings as the first router.
    When setting up a WAP you do need a wired connection between the two routers. If that is not a direct option you might want to look into powerlan adapter

2. David

I do have a direct access router Cisco already set-up in my living-room and a older Linksys router not set up, yet but going to give it a try according to your website instructions. Everything is on one floor but separate rooms divided by several walls. Say I put the older Linksys in the other room with my three wireless devices, one being a Roku player do you think this will this strengthen the signal?

Thanks,
    David

3. Amir M

well it depends where you put your second router and the setup that you use your routers.
    i use two linksys WRT120N for my two story home one with direct access to internet and the second one using bridged networking using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) mini firmware and it covers every corner of my house it dos not interrupt video playing.
    hope this helps!