What brand offers good budget monitors?

Sachin K December 27, 2013

Which brand offers a good monitor (TV) in terms of both pricing and quality?

Also I plan to use the monitor for both TV viewing and, if necessary, use it as computer monitor sometime in the future.

What about AOC ? Heard its the only one that comes with 3 years of warranty and all others have 1 year.

1. Kevin K

I have 2 Hannspree monitors. They have worked great and are reasonably priced.

2. Vipul J

I myself use a Acer LED Monitor. Excellent viewing angles & has been in perfect working condition for more than 3 years now. It also is very reasonably priced!

3. Gouthaman Karunakaran

I've had a Samsung SyncMaster (22") display since 2010 and it has been working great. Dell is a pretty good choice too, but I'm not sure if they're very affordable.

4. Jeff C

I've had good luck with the Hannspree family: Hanns-g, I-Inc, and Hannspree in 23 27,& 28". I also have two Hannspree TVs, a 25 & a 28. Best TV UI I've found yet. Just bought one of their 10.1" Jelly Bean tablets. Only $130 (cyber-Monday price at TD) w/ IPS panel & quad-core A9 Cortex.

5. Paul

+1 for Acer. I've got a couple of those and they've worked out well. But search for deals and you may find a great price on a Dell or ViewSonic too.

6. Viktor Czar

Monoprice. You'll thank me.

This does depend a lot on the region, not least because there are some country-specific brands which are usually produced by OEMs in China and sold under different names. I agree that Hyundai , Acer, Asus and AOC (and we can add BenQ to that list) are all decent, but any generally accepted brand will usually produce reasonable monitors. Some specific models may be better (or worse) than the standard though, so once you've decided on your price point and identified a short list of models, it's always best to look for reviews of those models on the internet.

8. kihara

Try Hyundai, Acer or Asus. They are all fairly priced and offer good quality.

This all would depend on your specific uses and what features you wish to have or can live without. AOC is decent for a cheaper cost monitor, and I have read that the warranty repairs and/or replacement has gone past 2 years without extra cost to the end user. Acer is a step up, and are of good quality at a good price. Give us your preferences and we can give more specific information, and if you would probably be better off getting a 1080p TV instead of a monitor. Most TVs have a VGA port, but if your computer has a DVI port, DisplayPort, or HDMI, you can use the HDMI port with the right cable and/or adapter (DVI to HDMI or DisplayPort to HDMI adapter) for better quality.

Let us know the size, color quality, picture quality, and if/how much gaming would be involved, and we can steer you to a good monitor that would meet your needs at a good price (you may even be able to afford a bigger name brand within your budget).

Some extra information and input that may help your decision: http://tehparadox.com/forum/f28/hey-guys-i-need-your-4547447/

• Sachin K

So I need a 1080p quality HD display..primarily for TV purpose....around 32 inches....and under $425

• Dalsan M

If the main use would be for TV, then I would suggest a good 1080p TV with VGA and HDMI inputs. There may be some TVs with DVI or DisplayPort inputs, which may be better off for your intentions. Using the VGA output from the computer to the TV would not give the best picture or performance, which is why DVI or HDMI out would be best.

A monitor is best used for computing needs, especially when picture quality, resolution, and/or response time for reduced ghosting or blurring during gaming or video editing would matter most. Ghosting or blurring effect could be reduced when using a TV if you buy a TV that has at least 120Hz scanning capabilities instead of the standard, older and cheaper 60Hz.

For your price range, depending on your location, you should be able to find a good brand TV that is at least 32 inches in size, 120-240Hz scan, HDMI and VGA inputs (possibly DVI or DisplaPort inputs), and possibly with internet connectivity built in (Smart TV). Sony and Samsung may be more expensive, but you could try LG and Vizio, and maybe Panasonic TVs with the above features and you should be fine. If you were going to use the computer more than the TV, I would suggest an Asus or Dell monitor with an IPS display, but then the viewing angle may not be sufficient for television use.