Can I use a borrowed Windows 7 install disc along with the product key on my COA to re-install Windows 7?

Mike Green September 25, 2012

I need to wipe my laptop due to issues on my computer (BSODs etc…). I have no recovery partition and no recovery discs (Identically made a Windows repair disc instead of a TOSHIBA recovery disc) and therefore the only way I can re-install Windows (Without buying TOHSIBA recovery discs) is to borrow an installation disc from a friend and use the product key ont eh sticker on the bottom of my laptop.

However as my currently installation is the OEM version of Windows (came with my laptop) and the disc will be the retail version, will my product key activate the installation? I don’t want to wipe my computer to load a 30-day trial of Windows.

Also, what about Office?

I have Office 2007 currently installed, will I be able to use my current key to re-activate Office with my new installation if the installation was successful? Or, becuase of the use of a new product key (My laptops sticker key instead of TOSHIBAs mass OEM product key). will Microsoft think I am trying to use the same key on different computers?

1. Bodi Hemanth

Windows should work fine that way.
    Office may or may not work; it probably will; try it.

2. aelaos

no it won't work because they are different versions. You should either download from torrents a oem version and use your keys , or search your laptop better because many ventors keep a version of windows in a differt partition of your hard disk. Some vendors offer an utility that helps you burn instalation cd

3. Elrick Browne

get an OEM Version of the Windows 7 version you have (most likely home premium) then use your Key on your COA and it should work perfect

4. Kernel Recovery Tools

The version of the windows should be same, if you want to use the product key from sticker.

5. Benjamin Glass

It should all work fine. As Bruce Epper said, Office is not tied to Windows. Also, if the activation of Windows doesn't work, Microsoft Support is usually very understanding.

6. GrrGrrr

Office will work fine.

For windows no, it will not accept COA key for a retail DVD. You have to have a OEM DVD.

7. Nikhil Chandak

yES u can why cant u do it
    there are many ways out to solve ur problem
    ask on :
    Google
    Yahoo
    Ask.com
    Wikipedia
    etc.......

8. Nikhil Chandak

Yes i Think u can do it ....

9. salim benhouhou

i guess office will work fine but for windows i think it won't work because your key is set to OEM version of windows and cannot be used to activate a retail version of windows

10. Dimal Chandrasiri

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-i-use-windows-7-oem-key-with-a-non-oem-disc/7788dfa2-94a7-4db3-8bcd-b0e109bd7b95

the answer is right in the link I provided. Instead of me saying that, it's possible, microsoft saying it is valid! :D so go ahead and install it! it'll be fine!

• HLJonnalagadda

Good thing they thought of that atleast.

• HLJonnalagadda

Yeah but Office would not work.

• Dimal Chandrasiri

office would work dude for sure. if you bought your office and it should come with it's own key.. all you have to do is, install Windows, Activate it using the OEM Key ( provided under the laptop ). then install Office using the office disc you bought and activate is using your respectable key. that's all. nothing to worry about activating products. if you have a legitimate copy, you are good to go! :P

• HLJonnalagadda

Didnt know.. Thanks for the info!

11. Deekshith Allamaneni

No, it is illegal use use a borrowed copy.
    You need to buy a license from Microsoft to use it.
    If you cannot buy, use better operating systems like:
    Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com)
    Linux Mint,
    ZorinOS, etc.

• ber

Did you even read the question? He has a license, he is just going to use the borrowed CD for the installation. RTFQ before you answer.

The activation of Office is not tied to a machine in the same way as Windows. Activation of Office should work without a hitch. The product key on your COA will not work with a Retail edition of Win7, you need to use an OEM version in order for it to successfully activate the product (it does not need to be Toshiba's modified version).What you should be able to do is take your friend's DVD, convert it to an ISO file, then using an ISO editor, remove the ei.cfg file from the 'sources' directory in the image. Burn the ISO to another DVD and use that for the installation. It should query you for the version of Win7 to install (Home, Home Premium, Ultimate, etc which MUST match your key). It may also ask if it is a Retail or OEM key (or it may just accept either type of key - I don't have the necessary keys to check this out). Just make sure the version and channel match they key you have and it should work without a hitch. If you want to keep the ei.cfg file, you can extract it from the image, change the 'Channel' section to say OEM instead of Retail, then replace the existing ei.cfg file in the ISO with your modified version. If necessary, you can change the EditionID section as well if it does not match what was installed on your machine. From everything I have heard, if the ei.cfg file does not exist, it will prompt you for the appropriate information to perform the install. Again, it is not something that I have been able to test yet due to not having the appropriate keys to run the tests (all of my keys are Ultimate Retail keys).

13. Henry Lahman

Windows should work fine that way.