Booting Windows XP and 7 from different hard drives, how can I choose?

Buddles February 1, 2010

I am going to buy a new PC soon and I will use my old HD that has WXP with a new HD that I’m gona install W7.

After I install the W7 in the new HD, can both Windows conflict and cause any problem?

If not, how I’m gonna choose which HD to boot?

Also, if I transfer some archives to the new HD and after that install W7 will it erase the archives?

Thanks.

I assume that your XP HDD is out of your old system? If so, it's not going to happen. The XP install will be tailored for the hardware on your old PC, not your new one.

If you really want your old PC on your new one (exactly as it was), then I suggest using VMWare's free VMWare Server and converting your old PC to a virtual machine.

Otherwise, install XP on your new PC, create a new partition on the HDD, and install Win7 on the second partition. BCD Edit can help you on the boot system.

If you copy file to a blank HDD, then install a new OS, unless you partition the HDD, the new install will delete what you have just copied over. Install the new OS first!