How can I boot Windows XP without logging in?

Jeff Schallenberg February 6, 2010

I have set up my desktop PC’s Award BIOS to Wake On LAN. If I shut down the PC (Windows XP SP3), I can wake it up simply by turning on my Logitech SqueezeBox, so that the SqueezeBox Server on my XP PC will provide me with music in the morning.
But when the XP PC boots, it stops at the login screen, even though I am the only user and I have not set any password for the login. I have to get up and go to the PC, and just hit the “RETURN” key to complete the Windows startup.
How can I eliminate the login prompt from Windows XP so that windows can be started remotely?
– Jeff Schallenberg Mont Saint Hilaire, Qu├ębec

Here is what I finally learned from a professional computer repair technician:

At the command prompt, enter "control userpasswords2"
    That opens up a "hidden" super-user dialogue where you simply uncheck "Require users to log in".

You may then have to use Allen Richard's suggestion and uncheck "Use welcome screen".

- Jeff

2. Diane

Allen, the option to change the way users logon/off is not there to choose. Any idea why? My account is the admin acct. Thanks

3. ALLEN RICHARDS

Go to the "Control Panel, Click on "user Accounts", Click on " Change the way users logon or off". Then take it from there.

4. BullDozer

I had that problem with WinXP SP1 because there was a hidden system user named ASP.net or something but deleting the user solved it. I don't know if you have the same problem or not.

Anyway, try using the auto login using this little app:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nmlmnmaqmw2

Expand the Logon tree and choose Autologon then check "Log on automatically at system startup" and fill in your user name and leave the password blank

It might help