How can I boot into Windows from Splashtop?

Dayaram March 28, 2011

I set Splashtop as my default operating system and now I can’t get to Windows as I had set 0 seconds time for choosing operating system. I cannot even open it in Safe Mode. I tried system restore as well, but it did not work. I use Windows 7 and I have Ubuntu as well. Any help will be appreciated.

1. dayaram

@4f9c728b24444eeb6c174513f5b76411:disqus  No, I did not resolve the issue. Nothing worked out. I communicated with the Splashtop staff as well but they had no solution as well. I finally had to restore my pc. I hope you can find something, and if you do then let me know as well, I will like to see the solution. Good luck buddy.

2. EasyE

Dayaram, I just did the same thing, setting the time to zero and splashtop as the default boot and now can't boot to windows. Did you ever resole the issue. As you know, none of the solutions mentioned above work in this case. 

• Smayonak

A critical concern has most likely been overlooked. Unless you have modified your BIOS (or BIOS like system flash memory) you will have access to bootable drives such as DVD or USB. Here's why:

All computers can be booted without a hard drive. If you so wanted, you could remove the hard drive and attempt to boot it up from a boot disk or USB drive. If it were still having boot problems, then the BIOS would not have been set to boot from DVD or USB or the BIOS would have been modified.

As I understand it, some advanced BIOSes can be modified to boot Splashtop. Most computers that do not have Splashtop installed, however, only modify their hard drive. If you remove the hard drive, it will at least eliminate whether or not there has been a modification to the BIOS.

3. Victor Ong

Click the turn off button in splahtop, and it should give you two options. Turn off the computer completely, or boot into windows.

Okay, how about hitting f8 repeatedly when you boot? That will force a windows safe mode menu to boot from, regardless of zero second boot.

5. pceasies

You might want to try rebuilding the BCD store (boot store).
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5472680_rebuild-bcd.html

6. Smayonak

This is unfortunate, but should be resolvable.

In all likelihood, the issue is with your BIOS: it sounds like DVD is not set to boot prior to hard drive.

If you enter your BIOS and set DVD as the first item in your boot process, it will boot from the DVD drive. If it doesn't, there's a setting that's off. Here's why:

When your computer begins starting up, if must first choose the medium from which to boot (which are options that can be turned on or off in the BIOS menu). Once it has a medium, it scans the root directory for bootloader files.

As long as Splashtop was not built into the motherboard, it must inhabit one of these bootable mediums. Therefore, logically, if you set your computer to boot from the DVD drive, before the hard drive, it will boot from it.

If it doesn't, that means there's some kind of entry in your BIOS that is thwarting boot from the installation disk. Or a hardware issue.

So make sure you:

* In BIOS, check to see if your computer recognizes the DVD drive. Also, try playing both a CD and DVD to make sure both features work on your drive. Sometimes a DVD-CD drives will lose the ability to read one, but not both, type of disk.

* In BIOS, make sure that the DVD drive is set to boot BEFORE all other drives.

* Make sure you have the correct installation disk in the disk drive and that you have a working disk image (sorry, but I had to point this out. Bad downloads and burns cause all kinds of problems).

* THOROUGHLY check BIOS settings for entries related to DVD drives. Such as "boot from DVD", "power to DVD" etc... since not all BIOS are the same and different manufacturers. If the following does not work, you may want to give us your make and model# so that we can check to see if the mobo has any additional quirks that are causing the issue.

7. Dayaram

Splashtop is not accessible through BIOS as it was not built in, so it is not available to be modified(disabled) through BIOS. My system is not booting from cd/dvd as well, so therefore cannot be repaired from the installation disk. I have tried System Restore but it finds no problems with the system (as virtually there is "no problem") and therefore starts with splashtop again. I have tried a lot of options but nothing's working. I think that we are missing something here.
    Thanks for replying people. Please keep the help coming I guess something will work. My last option is RECOVERY (I hope I don't need to go that far).

8. Smayonak

It just occurred to me that my previous comment may have been wrongheaded.

Is Splashtop accessible through your BIOS? If it is, and the feature was built into your motherboard and it can probably be turned off or modified to boot differently.

As I understand it, Splashtop style instant boot systems are common in UEFI and EFI firmware-hardware interfaces (BIOS-like systems), which should be modifiable the same was as a BIOS.

To access your BIOS (or UEFI or EFI) just google BIOS + your computer model. The procedure is usually something like tapping F2 or DEL immediately after pressing the power button until you enter the BIOS settings menu. It should precede any other boot menu.

Disabling Splashtop via the BIOS is a great idea! Dayaram, please let us know whether it worked or in case you found another way out. Thank you!

9. Smayonak

Have you tried using the Windows system image or installation disk to repair your bootloader? One of the things that a multiboot setup does is change your bootloader - I'm guessing that Splashtop modifies the default Windows loader with a GRUB2 flavor (or just GRUB2). There's a repair option in W7 that might work for you. It'll scan your computer for issues and then attempt to repair it.

Selecting the repair option from the W7 install disk has fixed bootloader issues for me in the past. But I don't know how friendly it is to other bootable OSes, like your Linux install. I doubt it plays nice with them. I would suggest resetting your system back to boot from Windows and then install a boot editor, like EZBoot.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html

10. Dayaram

Thats what the problem is, windows button yields splash top as well. Splashtop is my default OS and I had unchecked the boot menu time. So every-time I start the PC or press the window button it yields splashtop.

Dayaram, if you boot into SplashTop there is a boot into Windows button in the bottom left, next to the shutdown options. that should force your computer to boot windows. From there, you can either adjust the boot time or uninstall SplashTop completely