How can I boot with Windows Media Center without loading Windows?

Praveesh September 9, 2011

My Dell Inspiron 1520 had a Media Direct button, which boots with Media Direct without loading Windows. The OS was Windows Vista. After upgrading to Windows 7, the Media Direct button is also loading Windows. How can I boot with Media Center without loading Windows?

You mentioned that you installed Win7 over Vista - it's quite likely that you overwrote the partition that contained the MediaDirect functionality. You probably also overwrote the recovery partition, so there is no way to go back now unless you have the original restore disks. This would put your computer back to the initial state, then you can reinstall windows without overwriting things this time. 

boot from Windows 7 CD. Once you get to the menu, select Repair Your Computer, and from the listed repair options, select Startup Repair. Once Startup Repair has finished, let it reboot your computer.

Repairing Problems With Dell™ MediaDirect™ 2 and 3 - KB Article - 330711
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_330711&isLegacy=true