How do I boot Ubuntu Touch x86 on an emulator within Ubuntu 14.04 LTS?

May 16, 2014

ubuntu touch x86 emulator (on ubuntu 14.04 64 bit)

./build-emulator-sdcard.sh: 79: ./build-emulator-sdcard.sh: simg2img: not found
xyz@Presario:~/emulator-x86$ ./run-emulator.sh
./run-emulator.sh: 41: exec: emulator: not found

whats wrong pls help with detail instructions.

In your terminal, type 'export PATH=out/host/linux-x86/bin:$PATH' and press Enter. Now, make sure you are in the directory with the build script and type './build-emulator-sdcard.sh' and press Enter.

Apparently the 'set' command in the script used to prepend the directory containing the simg2img program isn't doing what it should so when the script reaches the point where it needs to run simg2img, it cannot find the program to execute, thus the error message about a missing file referred to in line 79. The 'export' command we used above does the same job before running the script and should result in a successful build.

• Shekhar S

Thanks.....

, type ‘export PATH=out/host/linux-x86/bin:$PATH’ and press Enter. Now, make sure you are in the directory with the build script and type ‘./build-emulator-sdcard.sh’ and press Enter.

it worked .

2. Rajaa C
    • Shekhar S

i have gone through that link.

my question was- why

./build-emulator-sdcard.sh: simg2img: not found

simg2img is missing

as i assume this was culprit .

• Rajaa C

I do not know why I was voted down as it if the article was read carefully, then it clearly had the command of how to get the Ubuntu Touch X86 emulator in Ubuntu 14.4 which is a different command than mentioned in the question.

Getting the Emulator

To get the x86-based emulator, run this command: wget http://people.canonical.com/~rsalveti/aosp/generic_x86/emulator-x86.tar.bz2 -O /tmp/emulator-x86.tar.bz2 && tar -jxvf /tmp/emulator-x86.tar.bz2 && cd emulator-x86 && ./build-emulator-sdcard.sh. It will download the emulator and run the script that will make it ready for use. To run the emulator, just run the command ./run-emulator.sh.

Running It

Once you’ve done this, you’ll want to wait quite a while before the emulator will actually run. You’ll see the “virtual phone” pretty early on, but it’ll continue to set things up for several minutes after the phone appears. The amount of time needed for this is much longer with the ARM emulator, but just roughly a couple minutes with the x86 emulator. However, eventually it will appear and you can start to play around with it.

Performance with the x86 emulator should be excellent — with my 8-core CPU, I was getting a buttery-smooth experience. Everything should work, including apps that require using the Internet. I was even able to play a game at excellent framerates, but it was difficult to control since using a mouse to emulate touch is much more difficult.
      I do have one tip concerning the use of edges on the phone, since they are arguably the most important piece of the interface. Whenever you want to simulate a swipe from one of the edges, start clicking just inside of the screen (not just outside of it), and then drag in the direction needed. So, for the left edge you would start just barely inside of the left edge, click, and drag to the right before letting go.

The only thing that doesn’t seem to work is checking for updates. This means that if you want to update to a newer image later on, you’ll need to run cd emulator-x86 && ./build-emulator-sdcard.sh again before running the command to launch the emulator.