How can I boot Ubuntu from a bootable USB connected to a Toshiba NB305?

Nanthi March 18, 2010

I followed the exact setup on creating a bootable USB on Mac. But when I put the USB in my Toshiba and tell it to boot from USB, it doesn’t, it goes straight to Windows 7. I checked the USB and it is does behave as an img in Mac.

I used Terminal in Mac and followed instructions provided in Ubuntu documentation, so I think my USB is right, but there is some misscommunication between USB and Toshiba. Please help!

1. Zymorgy

I just got an NB305, I created a bootable USB stick with Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Edition on my desktop computer. I put it in a USB port on the Toshiba, but it didn't recognize it on reboot. I tried again, and you have to look quickly, but if you press F12 then you get a boot menu the allows you to select where to boot from.

It works, but of course it is quite slow to boot from there. The Netbook Unity desktop looks quite nice, though you have to give up some real estate on the left side of the screen. Maybe the next version will allow you to move the dock. Anyway, good luck out there to anyone who's reading this.

2. Nanthi

I didn't try booting to the Mac but when I insert the usb it does mount the img. There was someone else on this site who created a bootable usb using mac and install on the same model netbook and it worked for him, but that posting expired.

3. Taty

Yes, they are not interchangeable. You can get the instructions at:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

You will need to create that bootable USB from a Windows Machine to the best of my knowledge. If you boot to the Mac with it does it work?