Why can’t I boot my system into Linux?

nedim October 28, 2011

I had dual-boot on my laptop, and it was working fine. I didnt like the Mz upgrade on Linux 11.4 so I decided to re-install  it, and shorten the size of allocated space for linux.

After I did that I wanted to give that extra space to another partition (that partition had no OS on it and was formatted with NTFS) so I used easy partition manager on Windows.

This changed the MZ boot options so now I can’t boot any system…I tried Googling it and anything I do doesn’t work. My hard drive shows as unallocated space. I’d love to use my laptop this weekend, so can anyone help me fix this?

Hello, just a note on the above process.  If when you choose the repair option your windows 7/Vista does not show, chances are your partition is already gone.  You will have to do a clean install.  The same thing applies when using XP.  If when you try repairing windows XP, your XP installation does not appear as an option, if it already gone and you would have to start with a clean install.

Hi Nedim,

Are you using Windows 7? If so, insert it into the disk tray and restart. When prompted, chose to boot from the CD. Once it fully loads, click "next" on the first dialog and in the lower left corner chose "repair". Another form will appear asking you which partition you want to fix, select the first one and at the next form chose "Command Prompt". 

Once the command prompt is open, type in the following command:

bcdedit /export C:BCD_Backup
    c:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h -r
    ren c:bootbcd bcd.old
    bootrec /RebuildBcd
    bootrec /FixMbr
    bootrec /FixBoot
    bootrec /RebuildBcd

Then just restart and you should be able to boot into Windows. Read more about the bootrec utility here.