How can I boot the operating system on my second hard drive within the operating system on the first hard drive?

David November 3, 2011

I have Windows Vista on my primary HD and Windows Server 2003 on a second 320GB HD that I use to run SAP. This is an image file of both server and SAP, but I want to run this in a window/session within Windows Vista and switch between the two. Without booting up one or the other. Can I do this without reinstalling? I just want to open a window and have my second HD boot within it.

The most painless method of doing so is to configure your BIOS boot order to chose the external hard drive's operating system over the internal hard drive's. If you want to be able to boot both of them from a selection, you will have to merge your boot loader's together.

Hello, I would think the only way you can do that is by running a virtual machine.  That way you would start Vista, then boot up the virtual machine with your image of server/SAP in it... or the other way around.