How can I boot Linux and Windows simultaneously?

Amit Kashyap October 2, 2010

I am new to the concept of dual boot. I had Windows 7 and recently I installed Ubuntu on my laptop with one of your online guides. Both operating systems are running fine. But I have to switch off and then switch on the laptop to log on to the operating system. Is it possible to run both of them at the same time and both of them being active at the such that Windows or Linux files run seamlessly? Please advise!

1. Susendeep dutta

one thing I forgot to mention that vmware fusion is for intel based macs.So if you are not willing to pay you have to either dual boot or use virtual box.

2. Susendeep Dutta

I think vmware fusion will be best for you but you will have to pay for that software and need much needed RAM for this.

• amit kashyap

thanx for the idea.can i have a open source or free to use software as i am still not ready to pay

3. Josh Fox

Dual booting just means that you can have multiple operating systems installed on the same computer, not running at the same time. Ha14 mentioned virtual machines, which would be the only way to have the two running at the same time.

If you are interested in the idea of switching completely, this could be a good time to try. If there is specific programs you rely on Windows for and it's not available for Linux, there are usually alternatives or the ability to run the Windows program under WINE, a compatibility layer to run Windows programs on other operating systems.

What do you rely on Windows for?

Nothing really. Have been googling around with open source and found that alternative are better than windows apps..

Got a bit of idea.. Please suggest if it is ok..

Would be making presentations(PowerPoint--> Open Office Impress),websites (Dreamweaver--Kompozer), DTP ( Photoshop-- GIMP)..

Generally the Computers are used by all and since everybody is so synonymous with windows, it might just be a bit difficult for them to get adapted.... It will take time..... So to ease multiusers i wanted that option... Also learnt that i can make linux look like windows to help ease of use...Please suggest...

• Josh Fox

Those are great alternatives. I tend to like the open source alternatives better than the commercial apps. Some other commercial programs that a lot of people ask about alternatives for are Visio or Quicken, which Dia and GnuCash respectively are good programs to do the job.

In nearly all cases, there are good alternatives, sometimes even for games.

Thanks. I just read the 1st option using vmware and it is a perfect guide. i will try it but first will try with vbox as it is already installed and will update.