Why can I not boot my computer with the optical mouse plugged in?

Osama April 2, 2010

Recently, I purchased an optical mouse (PS/2 type). Before that I was using a ball mouse.

The problem I am facing is that if this optical mouse is plugged into PC, the boot screen doesn’t go beyond motherboard manufacturer’s name screen. So I have to boot up my PC by plugging in the ball mouse and when it boots up completely then I plug in optical mouse.

Kindly tell me the solution to boot up with optical mouse.

Here are my PC’s specifications :
Windows XP SP2
Motherboard : Intel SE440BX-2
Processor : Intel pentium III ( 448 MHz )
RAM : 256 MB DDR
Video Card : Radeon 7000/Radeon VE AGP ( 64 MB )
HDD : 37 GB ( Interface : P-ATA )
File System : NTFS

1. Osama

i purchased another mouse and issue is resolved now

Osama,

did any of the suggestions above help you solve your problem with the optical mouse? Please let us know what did the trick for you! Thank you! :)

3. Aftab Ahmed

Hi Osama,
    This is a common problem. You have to go to BIOS and look for something called as "USB emulation" and set it to off.. That should solve your problem.

4. Osama

OK I'll give BIOS changes a try...
    @ jack by the way here in pakistan, mouse just cost 1.5$ - 2$ (120-160 Rs.)...lolzzz...and by motherboard screen I mean the first screen that comes on booting up a windows PC (with motherboard's manufacturer name on it)

• Jack Cola

Hi Osama,
      Well, for an reasonably good mouse, we have to pay around $20 - but I am not sure about the exchange rate for comparison.

Now I know what you mean. I remember getting one of these on my computer. I can't remember what exactly was the problem, but he had to do with a USB device. If that was plugged in, it would just show the motherboard logo.
      If the device wasn't plugged in, it would work, and that seems to be your problem.

So since they are cheap (again, not sure about exchange rates), I would buy another one because there seems to be some hardware compatibility issues that your computer doesn't like. Or go through your BIOS settings and turn off any related error checking - then it might work.

Sorry if I cannot be of any more help.

One thing to try would be to go to your BIOS settings and look for an option to ignore keyboard/mouse errors on boot. I am pretty sure it's the reason your computer doesn't boot with the optical mouse. Once the setting is set, press F10 to save and exit. Reboot.

6. Osama

@jack i told you it stucks on motherboard screen.

@ron how to check for firmware update?

• Jack Cola

Sorry, but I am confused as what you mean by "Motherboard Screen"
      Is it a blackscreen with text on it? (What does the text say)?
      Is it a picture of some sort - Eg Intel?
      Is it something else?

Otherwise, I suggest you go through your BIOS settings like Aibek said.
      The other options are to spend $20 on a new mouse, or buy a new computer.

(Also, depending on what type of computer you have or if its new or old, F10 isn't always an option)

So there are no messages that come up when it's frozen? What on the screen when it freezes?

8. Ron Houk

Have you checked to see if there is a firmware update available for your motherboard?

9. Osama

no it ends up into a ps/2 plug...it's not usb...and the problem is computer stucks on motherboard screen if this mouse is plugged in...(mouse is fine on other PCs)

I thought most new optical mouses are now USB? There isn't an adapter on the end of it is there to make it PS/2?

What errors are coming up? Something like Cannot Find Mouse?