What is the best way to go to a bookmark without using the mouse?

Tilman October 6, 2011

What’s the best way to go to a bookmark (or generally to a website) WITHOUT using the mouse?

For example, if I want to go to the MakeUseOf Answers homepage, I DON’T want to use the mouse to click on a bookmark, but I also don’t want to type the URL. I want to type just a certain phrase, in this case for example “muo answers”, and get DIRECTLY to the corresponding page. Obviously there has to be a certain modifier first because I also don’t want Chrome to search in Google for “muo answers”.

I already tried to add a “search engine” in Chrome, but without the “%s” in the URL in order to trick Chrome but unfortunately that does not work. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Tilman

Thanks for the update, Tilman!

yes ! that's what I told in my 1st comment ! create a uniqe keyword, for urls !

3. Tilman

Thank you all for your creative ideas!! In the meantime, I found another solution: Using Autohotkey, I just create a string that replaces a short keyword with the long URL! So for example if I type "muo answers" and hit enter, Autohotkey will replace it with the URL, which works out nicely.

However, I found an even better solution, in fact my original idea turned out to work perfectly! In my original question, I wrote: "I already tried to add a “search engine” in Chrome, but without the “%s” in the URL in order to trick Chrome but unfortunately that does not work." Well, it turns out that it DOES work!! So this is definitely the best solution! I also found out why it didn't work for me when I tried it the first time. I had tested it with the keyword "muo answers" which did not work, but now I found out that the space is the problem! Adding a search engine with a keyword without any spaces, and leaving the %s away from the URL works beautifully! So this is what I am using now :)

Tilman,

did any of the solutions above work for you? Please let us know! Danke!

one more, easier than the keyboard..
    go to URL of your choice,
    single click on the addressbar..all text will be selected
    drag it to the boomarks toolbar.
    that's it.
    now you can all you have to do is a single click on the icon.

thanks, I downloaded it !
    it will be super cool if it works on my pc! @50ab52dff88ff8e87a1b3fdcf3a8e108:disqus

Tilman, If you want to use keybord shotcut, you can find out some that does not conflict with the other shortcuts on your pc !
    however it is said that, windows shortcut will not work, if a program using the same shortcut is active.

go to desktop >>right click >>new>>shortcut >> enter the location of http://www.makeuseof.com or any URL you want>>enter name >>finish.

now, right click on the shortcut>> go to proerties >> enter keyboard shortcut >press any key that will not conflict >>it will be ctrl+alt+
    click ok
    (you can use function keys and numpad keys which is not recommended, may be better on someone else's pc to prank :)

try it by pressing ctrl +alt + selected key.

tested ok :)

• Mjevolve

hello jay , 
      yes the program sure works and you would love it , for what it does ...  :)

7. Mjevolve

the easiest and what i use at the moment and which also feels cool . :)

define a gesture with your mouse,  and the gesture shall open the requested website .

for example , i just draw " M " with the mouse , and Firefox automatically opens the website makeuseof.com for me . 

use this program -- Just Gestures (  http://justgestures.com/   )

start the program after installation .

click on the first icon that says - Add New Gesture > Internet Options > Open Website , 
    and now just type in the URL , click Enter and on the next page define a mouse gesture for it . 
    like M for makeuseof.com

now hold down the right mouse button and draw the gesture and its done .
    the program will open up the page for you ...!

couldnt be more simpler ...  :)

and its not just websites , there are plenty and almost any thing you can set to work with mouse gestures . Programs , windows , preset folders etc....

saves time , productive and efficient .excellent program 

do try ..
    n hope it helps ..... 

@Jeff_Fabish:disqus  ctrl + b is for bookmark manager
    ctrl +o = open file

• Jeff Fabish

Depends on your browser.

ctrl + b is for bookmark manager
        ctrl +o = open file
        I tried.
        this applies to Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera and Safari
        which browser are you talking about ?

if you want 2 or 3 bookmarks then you can create a shortcut,
    but for multiple urls from keybord you will need to remember their special spellings or spelling mistakes, you will assign to them. it is fun to be creative !
    that's what I do to get my bookmark quickly.

all you will need is a spelling mistake of your own.

1. goto the url , you want to make a short cut of :
    eg. makeusof.com

2. press ctrl+D , you will see the window
    in the name section you will see "Cool Websites, Software and Internet Tips"
    (here you have to type your unique wrong spelling which will be the keyword, it will not be similar to a valid spelling to avoid histroy search)

type mqsof
    and press enter
    You can also give a tag if you are in firefox like this.

Now testing time :

3. press alt+d (to focus addressbar)

4.type mqsof

you will notice that your bookmark is there on the list in drop down suggestions
    on the first place if it is firefox, press down key and enter !
    and last place (after google suggestions), in chrome. , press pagedown key and enter !

that's it.

Or just press "CTRL + D" to bookmark the current page. It works with Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera and Safari to save the bookmark. Then to open them, just open up the bookmark manager with "CTRL + O" and use "TAB" and the arrow keys to navigate. Press enter to open the page.

Some speed dial extensions allow you to just press a number to navigate to the bookmark.

you can use a clipboard manager and assign a hotkey to open a specific web page