How can I keep bookmark ‘layers’ when reading PDFs on a Kindle?

James Huddleston March 19, 2012

When reading PDFs on a Kindle, all the bookmarks seem to get combined into one layer. For example in a PDF you can have a bookmark ‘Chapter 1’ and then underneath that bookmark you can have other like ‘verse 1’, ‘verse 2’ etc. But when reading a PDF on a Kindle all these get combined into 1 layer and it becomes unmanageable.

I was wondering if there was any way to keep the proper bookmark formatting when reading PDFs on a Kindle?

1. Carl E Haney

Depends on the pdf you are reading, some pdf's are set up with chapters, also how the pdf was converted. What also helps is screen n font resolution, using landscape or letter rotation view might contribute to how you are able to view "layers". btw what kind of kindle are you using ? this may also factor in your pdf files on how they are read. Some people have trouble with their kindles not working right.  Hope this helps some.

• James

Thanks for your responses.

I'm using a Kindle Touch.  I tried Calibre but when it converts a PDF into Kindle (mobi) format it chops the pages in two so it kind of ruins the book.

The strange thing is that the same PDF seems to have the proper 'layers' when reading it on the Kindle app on the iPad, it's just reading it on an actual Kindle that the bookmarks all get combined.

I'm doubtful there is a solution but thanks again.