Why do bookmark folders appear on my iPad, but not my iPhone?

Schlubumir van den Hoodenkraften February 4, 2012

Since I have my bookmarks on the iPad in the bookmark bar, only the bookmarks not organized in folders will show on my iPhone (synced via iCloud). I have no clue how to solve this. Would somebody so kind and tell me how to make the folders appear on the iPhone? Thanks.

1. Schlubumir van den Hoodenkraft

Thanks, Fidelis. Here is what I did. Opened Safari, like you said, but the status bar did not react, cause it seemed that everything was synced already (except for the folders of course).
    Push was already set, so i tried adding a page to the reading list which interestingly did dont sync to the phone. Then i switched off the icloud sync for bookmarks, erased all bookmarks by doing so and switched sync back on. In safari the statusbar thing started spinning, like you said it would when bookmarks are beeing pushed to the phone. Everything was synced! :)

Except for the folders :(

My biggest fear is i am plain too stupid and forgot one tiny adjustment

2. Schlubumir van den Hoodenkraft

Edit: Unfortunately nothing worked so far (besides maybe the itunes sync which I havent tried yet) so I will get more precise on the problem:
    Ipad bookmark bar:
    page1,
    page2,
    FolderA (pageA1, pageA2...),
    folderB (page B1, pageB2),
    ...
    Iphone boookmarks ( not bookmark bar):
    Folder: Read later list (I dont know the correct translation)
    Folder:History
    Folder:Bookmark bar:Page1
    Page2
    Iphone Bookmark page I1
    ....

So basically page1 and page1 got synced, but all the folders are missing. Maybe there is an adjustement necessary in the icloud- or safari settings I am missing here.
    Maybe this additional info can help solve this problem.
    Best
    Schlubumir

Thank you for the thorough update!

Hello, try the following:

-- in your iPhone, open safari
      -- open bookmarks menu and find the reading list(Read later list in your post)
      -- once reading list is accessed, you should be able to see activity in the status bar indicator.   The status bar indicator should start spinning
      -- opening reading list should trigger iCloud to sync and bookmarks should be updated
      -- try to stay in this page until the status bar indicator stops turning

You could also try changing the settings in your iPhone to  push:

-- in your iphone follow next steps:
      -- settings
      -- mail
      -- contacts
      -- calendars
      -- fetch new data
      -- tap to enable push

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3392156?start=15&tstart=0

• Robert Schropp

Hello FIDELIS,

I encountered the reverse situation. My iPhone was syncing my bookmarks from my iMac correctly. It was my iPad that wasn't syncing my bookmarks correctly. I followed your instructions on the iPad and my bookmarks and folders displayed as they do on my other devices. Who would have thought? Thanks much for your assistance!

3. Schlubumir van den Hoodenkraft

Ii tried turning it off an on agein :) but unfortunately this wont work. I will check the other options you gave me and report back! Thank you very much!

try syncing bookmarks via iTunes.

• Schlubumir van den Hoodenkraft

Thanks for your help, but since I have the ipad I dont use the computer much anymore. I will try if nothing else works.

Hello, Have you tried turning off sync for bookmarks in iCloud preferences and then turn it back on?

iCloud help:
    http://help.apple.com/icloud/

Troubleshooting iCloud Bookmarks:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4001

Check the post before last in the next thread:
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/iphone-hardware-accessories/253847-icloud-bookmark-sync-problems.html