Which book do you recommend to learn Red Linux?

dharmendra July 30, 2010

I am a student of computer science and would like to learn Red Linux. Which version should I go for and which book can give me the detailed knowledge about the topic?

1. Dharmendra

As I am Newbie To Ubuntu 10.10 Linux I Have Doubt how i can get the Source File for Software Like MP3 Codec ,Jdk if i don't have an Internet facility as there any other way please help me out.....

2. Josh Fox

1: I'm not certain what you mean by which "version" you should use, but if you mean which distribution, Zengenie Studions has their Linux Distribution Chooser, that's if you're not locked into a specific distribution for whatever reason.

2: For books, there are a lot of sites with free online books or even downloadable PDF books to help with learning Linux. A Google search for "free linux books" will give you a lot of good results. You can replace "free" with "online" or "downloadable" to get some different results. Amazon also has many books covering Linux from basics to advanced topics like programming. However, I've been using Linux for almost 10 years and have rarely resorted to a book of any kind. Books don't get updated enough to keep up with the open source world, so a better option might be to follow forums and blogs that are either focused on the specific distribution you use or with general Linux information. One thing to note is that many distributions function about the same, so learning about one will also teach you about another. The biggest differences in using them are usually in installing the OS and package management. Some include different software or distribution specific utilities, but most information is transferable between distros. For beginning with your chosen distribution, most will have a link on their site for support that will point you to forums, "getting started" or "essentials PDFs, wikis, or IRC that are focused on that specific distro.

• Jessica Cam W.

Yes, in addition to what Josh has said here, in fact, you can actually check out the free pdf manual on Linux that MakeUseOf is offering: A Newbie's Getting Started Guide To Linux.

And this isn't 'Red Linux' but a good distro/'version' for new users is Ubuntu as it's the most popular Linux distro and you'll find more articles on the Internet dealing with how to use it than other distros. Here's the MakeUseOf free manual on Ubuntu 9.10.

Good luck!

Red Linux? What is it? Are you referring to Red Hat?

• Dharmendra

Sorry It was Red Hat Linux...