Why do I get the blue screen of death on Windows startup?

IamAshMcLean October 1, 2012

I turned on my computer and then I see “Starting Windows” followed by the blue screen of death.

I tried to use System Restore in Safe Mode, and other options on the F8 key at startup but got the same result: blue screen of death. I talked to my stepfather, and he said that I should change the RAM, or to use at least one, to check whether that is the problem, and again got the same thing.

So is it hardware-related, or it is the operating system which I must re-install?

1. Félix S. De Jesús

Thank you so much for the Advices... I removed the HDD from the laptop, and then put it back again, and Boom... Windows Did Start normally :))))

2. Elrick Browne

It can be anything, because its a general error for lots of different hardware, can be hard drive, memory, video card, sound card etc, but if a BIOS change was made recently it can cause it......like changing the sata settings from compatible/IDE to Sata/AHCI and vice versa as windows wouldn't have the driver at boot for that device. because it essentially because a new device with that change

3. Dany Bouffard

It seem like a hardware issue, if the error is not always occuring boot into windows in safemode with network, downaload and install Bluescreen view from there chek the error message and go on a computer and search the net using th error message code
    to get info, usually the code will give a fairly good insight as to what hardware might be defective.

4. Bodi Hemanth

it's may be a hardware problem, that installed o your system.
    1st you reinsert ram and hard disk cables then see the result.

5. Kavita

even i get it some times on my pc...windows sucks...

6. Nikhil Gupta

you have some hardware problem first check ur hardware in the bios menu...

7. Igor Rizvi?

If there is a error numbers showing on,write them down and search them on the web,every error code stands for different part of false or failed hardware.good luck

8. Jacob

In my experience most BSODs happen mostly due to driver related problems(Have you made any changes to your system recently?).Now, on the BSOD a section called technical information is shown.There you have the error codes and the files which are being affected.Google those codes and you will find the exact problem.

Old computer tech trick. Find a spot on the case that vibrates the least using your sense of touch. Then hit this spot sharply with a small hammer 3 times wait 13 sec and hit it again. Reboot the computer. Cured!!
    Come on guys some of these suggestion are pretty lame.
    F8 on bootup, click on don't restart on failure to get the stop error code, google code (usually don't need to include stuff in brackets). If its hardware related my guess is the PSU

10. Dimal Chandrasiri

BSOD comes when there is a Hardware issue or an issure with the drivers. did you install any new hardware to your computer. it doesn't matter from inside or out. ( USB maybe ) if so remove the device and start again!

if problem exist, try to boot the system with only minimum devices attached. try without the HDD and Optical drives. if it goes away, plug in one at a time and check. you'll figure out, what''s causing the problem and then you should contact the manufacturer if you have warranty left!

11. mohit kumar

Definitely hardware-based. I too faced the same problem. It's due to faulty RAM. Buy a good company's RAM.

12. aelaos

First of All follow this steps:
    1. Unplug any device you have even the Keybord and mouse
    2.Check the cable that connects your monitor and video Card , is firmly attached
    3.Start Pc
    If the problem is resolved start plugging one by one the peripherals, and boot each time to see whats causing the problem. I Had the same problem with an external usb drive
    If the problem persists , before start medling with hardware try to recover with the windows installation DVD , and if thats not possible make a new windows installation

13. Areeb Majeed

Change your HardDrive

14. 573d1210d64cc82ed1979188e3b9622a

it might be an error or virus

15. Vipul Bansal

Don't panic. The same thing happened with me and i know how frustrating.
    SOLUTION: Just format your computer(if possible, all drives)
    I did it and now my computer is running fine.

16. Freecycle Me

Oh I would try to get a backup of your data too in case you delete it when trying to restore it!

• Isaac Elesha

Try open your computerpanel and make sure evry removable boards are well seated.you can replace each removable boards with a known good ones one after the other to figure out which particular one is defective.if all these didnt work then i suggest you run a recovery programe on your hard drive to recover whatever files you want and then reinstall a fresh copy of windows.i hope this helps!

17. Freecycle Me

I had this once and I had to go through system repair 3 times for it to right itself. Not sure if this is your problem. Any beeps, error messages to show what it could be? Does it boot with a Linux livecd?

18. Ahmed Khalil

tell us the error code whch is written to you, as it is giving information about the type of the error

19. salim benhouhou

i think it is a video card issue i had it before .

• HLJonnalagadda

Yeah although that is the issue most of the times, I had a faulty driver installed for my mainboard that was just continually crashing Windows. Had to go to the Event Viewer to figure out what was causing it!

try to reset cmos battery or to replace perhaps it became old., check your cables and particularly from the hard drive containing OS to motherboard.

21. DalSan Mack

If you can give us the information that is provided on the blue screen, it would help more into what may be causing the problem. The BIOS settings might have changed, drivers might be corrupt, system files may have errors, CMOS battery could be dead, hard drive may be failing, other hardware may be failing, etc. To see if it may be the hard drive or operating system error, download and create a bootable CD of either Hiren's Rescue disk, any version of Linux (Ubuntu would be more user friendly than many of the others), or other rescue disk that you might know of or used before. If the CD boots into the operating system off of the disk, then more than likely something is wrong with the hard drive or the operating system on it. Which ever bootable cd you choose to use, there will be tools to use to check for disk health and errors. If the drive health is ok, then the system files have errors.

Hiren's Boot CD information: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
    Download link: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/files/Hirens.BootCD.15.1.zip

• IamAshMcLean

Well, the thing is, when I turn on the computer, appears the Windows Start Screen, but just after that, appears the BSOD. I tried using the Safe mode, and for the same way got. I used the f8 key, and then Repair your computer. The screens appears with a gray cursor, and nothing more than black.

I contact my stepfather and he said, Exchange the Ram memories, to see if the RAM is the problem, and no, the same problem.

I thinking a virus or another thing just crashed.

• DalSan Mack

Try Hiren's Boot CD. If you look at the information link, you will find all of the tools it has that may be useful in trying to get your computer back. If you can't get into Windows through safe mode and can't do a repair install, using a bootable CD to see if you can fix it or wiping your hard drive and reinstalling Windows might be your only options.

Getting a BSOD is a very generic description of what is going on. There is an error code displayed near the top of the BSOD that is required to even begin to realistically troubleshoot the issue. Without this, we can only speculate where the issue lies. During startup, it generally points to a problem with a hardware device or driver. In your case, this is most likely a driver issue or a device that is not initialized for Safe Mode (otherwise it would not have started in Safe Mode). If it is an issue with a recently updated driver you can use Safe Mode to revert to the previous driver that was installed for that device (using Device Manager, go to the Drivers tab under Properties for the affected device and click on the Roll back driver button).

23. iLochtefeld

Write down the error code it gives you and search google it should give you feedback to the cause of the issue.

• hamad3914

That always helps

24. Richard Whennell

I know this sounds like a fob off, but it does sound like a hardware issue - possibly video card. Some cards are notorious failers after a time. If you have already tried system restore in safe mode, then start looking at possible fixes on the hardware front.