Why am I getting a Blue Screen Of Death in Vista 64-bit and how to fix it?

Trish May 5, 2010

Hi Everyone,

I am losing my marbles here with the infamous BSOD in my Toshiba Satellite laptop running Vista. A few weeks ago I downloaded a free program from cnet that was a diagnostic “c-drive cleanup tool”. Shortly there after I shut down the computer and when I tried to restart I was greeted by the usual Windows screen with the green bar loading at the bottom, but instead of switching to the desktop it goes straight to the BSOD.

It gives me the option of starting in safe mode and other options such as telling me to “disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing”, which is impossible because every option eventually leads back to the BSOD. I have tried booting from a Vista Recovery Disc. The screen says that Windows is installing files and then – once again – goes straight to the BSOD.

Here is what the BSOD says:
A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER.
IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU’VE SEEN THIS STOP ERROR SCREEN, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. IF THIS SCREEN APPEARS AGAIN, FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

CHECK TO MAKE SURE ANY NEW HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE IS PROPERLY INSTALLED.
IF THIS IS A NEW INSTALLATION, ASK YOUR HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE MANUFACTURER FOR ANY WINDOWS UPDATES YOU MIGHT NEED.

IF PROBLEMS CONTINUE, DISABLE OR REMOVE ANY NEWLY INSTALLED HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE. DISABLE BIOS MEMORY OPTIONS SUCH AS CACHING OR SHADOWING. IF YOU NEED TO USE SAFE MODE TO REMOVE OR DISABLE COMPONENTS, RESTART YOUR COMUTER, PRESS F8 TO SELECT ADVANCED STARTUP OPTIONS, THEN SELECT SAFE MODE.
TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
***STOP: 0X0000C1F5 (0xFFFFFFFFC01A000A, 0xFFFFFA8003E4D000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

Please help me figure this out! I have no idea how to disable BIOS memory. This computer is not even a year old and I have no idea what to do. A step-by-step guide (please explain this to me as if I were a moron) would be SO GREAT!!! Thank you in advance and I hope to hear from someone soon : )
– Trish

1. manikandan.v

BSOD usally occurs due to following reasons :
    1) driver mismatch or incompatibility with your hardware.
    2)when any software uses more RAM than required
    My suggestion:
    ..>does your laptop have 64 BIT processor??
    ..>does your laptop support 64 BIT OS??
    (google your processor name and check for 32/64 bit support)
    ..>did you try installing vista or win-7 32 bit OS .
    ..>try updating/upgrading your BIOS version(try this if your processor is 64 BIT)

mail me your laptop config to vmani007@gmail.com
    am a student and I am to help you :)