Why won’t my Blu Ray player recognize my USB hard drive?

David Joiner January 18, 2012

I have a 80GB HP USB Pocket Drive that I want to connect to my Sony BDP-S580 Blu Ray player. I have tried formatting in NTFS, FAT and FAT32. The hard drive is externally powered by a hub. Sony tech support says it should work, but I get an error stating that it isn’t compatible.

1. Dennis Poole

I have a Blu Ray player and a 6 months old HDLCD tv and both of them take all the drives I have and that is without changing any settings. I have never had any trouble at all.

2. Just trying to help

I had the same problem. Reformat the drive to NTFS. It fixed mine and now it works seamlessly. hope this helps :)

maybe formating as FAT32 was not very successful, perhaps to try again

Hello, According to specs for your sony player, it is compatible with reading NTFS and FAT32.  What kind of hub is powering the drive? 

Specs for Sony player:

Also according to specs this sony player has two USB ports, 1 in the back and 1 in the front.  Does the same thing happens when you try in the other USB port? 

On the other hand, when you check the specs for your external drive, it only mentions compatibility with USB enabled PC/notebook:

5. Jay.0

Some hard disks work and some don't, most of the times reason remains unknown,
    Use a flash drive or try a sony hard drive.