Which blogging client do you use?

eltioska May 9, 2010

I currently use ScribeFire and WLW (Windows Live Writer).

Now I’m not sure which the best one is. ScribeFire’s quite good but I find myself having to “post as draft” and then edit the images, at times in html mode. Maybe there’s something I’m seriously missing but this is a right ****.

So my questions are:
Which is your preferred blogging client?
Are you satisfied with it?
Do you have to do any manual editing/use multiple editors to get the job done?

1. haeja

I use WLW because I can use it for different blog clients and the blogs are easy to set-up. The ability to instantly see how your post will look like in your blog is a plus. Furthermore, the quick enhancements for the photos/videos are a breeze. One more deciding factor for me is the easy watermark option because it helps me protect my own pictures.

Just to add, regarding Flickr search, the quickest way to search for CC images in Flickr is by using Quix and fc command. Read more about quix here:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/dir/quix-bookmark-replace-extensions/
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/adding-power-bookmarklets-quix/
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-create-bookmarklets-in-quix/

I use Windows Live Writer because it's easy to use and keeps a backup of all your posts. And when blogging to a few different blogs, a drop down list is much easier then logging into the WP control panel

4. el tio ska

Hi everybody,

Many thanks for the tips, tricks and ideas :o) For the moment I've decided to keep on with WLW and take a look at the plugins.

Thanks Anshul Dixit for the detailed explanation too!
    (And MUO for creating this space on their site as well.)

Just for the record, I write my posts using the Q10 text editor & wordweb dictionary (a great dictionary in both free & pro versions from wordweb.info). I also look for the images beforehand - maybe this is where I can improve as well, using a Flickr search plugin...

5. Taty

Have also tried a few and settled for going directly to WordPress without a moment's hesitation. Each one caused me some irritation I couldn't justify since going directly to WordPress's interface was so simple.

• lakridserne

Well, I would use a blogging client if All in one SEO could be
      integrated.

6. Anshul Dixit

I have used both the blogging clients, and I prefer WLW over Scribe Writer. Reason being that WLW provides much more customization,both out of the box and in the form of additional plugins that can be downloaded from http://wlwplugins.com/

Coming to your problem of editing images, WLW provides more customization in this respect. If you look towards the right pane of WLW, you'll see an option to insert picture. After inserting the image, you'll see three tabs related to image on the right pane - Picture, Advanced and Effects. (Just in case you don't see that, click on the picture once). I'll give you a brief idea of the customizations you can do here.

Picture- Here you can define where you want your image to appear, inline with the content, centre of the page, left or right. You can also define margins and borders here.

Advanced- You can do some very important customizations here. You can change the size of the image, add Watermark to your image and most important, assign alt tags to your image. Images with alt tag, as you might be aware of, do well with SEO. And title tags also get assigned to your images when you save it.

Effects- Though I don't find it important for my blog, but if you have a personal or photo blog you can use it to add effects like black and white picture, sepia tone etc.

I think this must be sufficient for all the editing you require with the images.

So to answer your questions:
    1) I prefer WLW.
    2) Yes I'm satisfied with it.
    3) I don't have to do any manual editing.

7. Craig Cerino

I would give BlogJet a look. - http://www.codingrobots.com/blogjet/

I have given quite a few clients a look ( and testdrive) and for the last 3+ years I still find BlogJet to be the best.

• el tio ska

Blogjet looks interesting. Am not sure if I wanna try yet another though :o) But will give it a shot, even though many people seem to recommend using the WP interface directly. Any idea what the difference between the free and pro versions is?

• lakridserne

I guess the pro version have more features, but I would consider looking
        at their website. Else it could be shareware? That means you can try it
        for for example 30 days, and then you have to pay to use it.

8. Jack

This is really great Eltioska.What you are doing here is like a guidance to all the learners and the beginners.I know that you are doing it for yourself but it works for all.Thanks for sharing your points .Appreciate it.Keep it up and all the very best.

9. lakridserne

I used to use Blog Desk, but after I've started using All in one SEO, I use the WordPress interface - then it's easiest to add the title and description.

10. Steve Campbell

Honestly, I've gotten used to doing all of my blogging from right within WordPress' interface. It's easy enough and gives me all the options I need for my posts. I have considered using Windows Live Writer, however, because I've heard good things. I might have to check out ScribeFire as well though.

The best advice is to try out multiple options and see which you feel most comfortable with. Maybe you'll be surprised.