How can I get my blog to rank high in Google like MakeUseOf?

samrudh January 1, 2012

Previously, I had asked a question about international giveaways. I searched the term and found that my question I posted comes second in search engine.

How did you do this? Is there any MakeUseOf manual to read, so that even my blogs can come first in Google?

Hi Samrudh. I'd love to write a guide on SEO, but I'm afraid the powers that be have determined it to be a controversial topic for which no one can truly claim to understand. 

If you download my WordPress guide though, you'll notice I snuck in a whole topic dedicated to the basics of SEO, so I suggest you start there: http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/set-up-your-blog-with-wordpress-the-ultimate-guideThere a few schools of thought as to how to rank well, from the benign "posts good content and they will come" (not true if your actual SEO sucks); to traditional SEO that revolves around building links, establishing authority, and being active in other social media areas for instance; and finally "blackhat SEO", which involves buying links, spamming social media sites, and generally being a bast*rd. I tell you what - post a link to your blog if you dare and I'll give you a five point, brief and brutally honest outline as to why you're not ranking (and how you can). 

I would give James a link to your site, You don't come by a offer like that often.

Hello, if you have typed and posted the comment a few times, you will see all of them later on or tomorrow.  It has happened to me before.

Ya, That has happened to me before to, But these are showing on my Disqus Dashboard and then going poof... 

It is driving me crazy... I am done for the night so I don't blow up anyone elses' email with notifications :)

There is a direct correlation between the rank of a website on google and the amount of traffic it gets. Google partly uses a voting system to rank where a website is listed on there search.

This is called SEO, Search Engine Optimization, and is basically making a site look as good as possible while also being functional, as well as being able to track the traffic of your blog. 

The first really good start is add RSS and eMail notification to your blog. Also adding Social Media in the mix is great as well

I personally use Youtube to increase the hits to my blog, My blogs Youtube videos  show up way before my blog actually does.

You will also want to keep up with the number of hits to your website. Depending on who your blog is with, You probably have basic statistics available. Google Analytics is great, but there are free alt. out there, MakeUseOf has a article on it.

Also, You will want to look at the design of your blog, Make it look perfect, but keep everything functioning the way it is suppose to. WordPress, if that is who your blog is with, has some great templates that are easy to setup.

Google doesnt use any form of "voting" to determine where a site is listed. 

Neither traffic, nor analytics has any beneficial effects on your blog rank I'm afraid. 

The "Voting" is part of Googles PageRank system.... I didn't reference it because I was sure no one would question that...

There are not many other thing that can be controlled on a website.

I was trying to summarize as much as possible, and completely cut out Advertising, because If your website looks like crap, no one will visit it again. This design and function come first, then you advertise to site.

I generally rely on the person asking the question to reply to my question before going into extreme detail. 

I have read a good bit of your articles, had some linked to my original posts. (Spam filter, I am assuming, deleted them.)

I think maybe you're referring to the way google uses "click tracking" technology on it's results page as a kind of human "voting system"? In that case you're right - if google sees that most people are clicking on the fifth result, it may be bumped up some places - though I wouldn't say this is strictly a voting system as such, so much as an indication of which page title / excerpt humans see as being most relevant to that particular search query. 

Their own Chrome blocklist has also been shown to contribute somehwat to ranking, another form of voting I guess? ie, if many users block your site, that indicates its poor quality or spam result. I would say there is an awful lot that can be controlled on-site though. The page title, for a start! By making your page title attractive and relevant to your keyword, users will be more likely to click on it, and hence possibly affect ranking in that respect. The meta description too. 

Touche :)

Not much I can add to that

Why does the stuff I write on this question keep disappearing?

• Jay.0

Surprise ! it happened to me once,
      spam filter automatically deleted my comments.

I read that comment of yours , I also have the same opinion.
      Provide quality content and use social media.

I keep tinkering with it and removing the links but no dice :) I have had troubles with the filter but not this bad :)

• Jay.0

It reappeared, May be a moderator restored it it, or it was a temporary error.

http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/blog-rank-high-google-makeuseof/#comment-398600044

I took out all the links, before I just removed some... I am just waiting for it to disappear from my dashboard :)

Richard,

your post probably went into moderation. You're whitelisted, but Disqus has been acting up recently, randomly ditching people from the list.

Tina,

I didn't mean to sound negative about MakeUseOf, and know it was Disqus. I am happy to finally get it posted.
          I have just never had something show in my Disqus Dashboard, and then disappear. 

Some Links for you: 

http://seonix.org/search-engine-optimization/25-tips-to-optimize-your-blog-for-readers-search-engines/ 

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/how-to-optimize-your-blog-for-google/