How can I block internet access or websites by keyword?

Jon Smith November 5, 2012

Yesterday, I had a party at my home. A kid asked me for the internet password and I gave it to him, but he started doing things I specifically asked him not to.

Since June, ISPs are supposed to be monitoring web usage, for torrenting and illegal streaming, and I don’t want this person to access these websites. If I don’t get access to his computer, how can I block either his access entirely and how can I block just passwords by keywords (Ex. torrent, anime streaming, etc.)?

1. Alrale Green

You need to install a web filter on the computer and block certain sites by url or keywords.

2. Rama moorthy

you can block the websites simply by using avast! free anti-virus software site blocking facility.. or else you can also use some other software..

3. Boni Oloff

Kasperky has Parental Control, that can control the website based on keyword. You should try it. I use it.

4. Naveen Kumar

i think you want to block all illegal websites form accessing try this method

5. Lisa Santika Onggrid

If you're using Firefox, try these:

You can also enable your firewall and configure its settings to allow only authorized sites (that you know are safe)

• Douglas Mutay

Yes, I use webfilter at home and it's very good addon.

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Yeah me too. A very useful add-on.

• Abba Jee

i would suggest Lisa Santika Onggrid suggestion :)

Put a firewall and content filtering in place, where you can define keywords and block those urls. There are lot of free solutions available on the internet for home users. Just search Google and choose the solution you like.

Your want to control what someone does on their own computer? Please clarify.

8. josemon maliakal

You can block by website addresses or ip addresses but not with a keyword..but web filtering software will help you to solve your scenario ....

Set up your router to use OpenDNS and configure it to block the types of material you don't wish to have on your network. You can also reconfigure your router settings to block the most popular ports for torrenting applications. Yet another option is to configure your router with a guest account that you allow others to use that is has far more restrictions than your normal account. By doing this, you can limit guests to using HTTP/HTTPS (for web browsing), SMTP/POP3/IMAP (for email), etc. By not leaving any excess ports open for outbound traffic (normal router configuration), you are stopping them from using anything that is not pre-approved by you for them to do.

10. Jan Fritsch

You can always prevent internet access by changing the password or when using WiFi by blocking/allowing only certain MAC addresses.

As for filtering it all depends on how "safe" you want your network to be. Almost every router nowadays allows you to set basic access restrictions like blocking certain websites (URL) and keywords. It's usually in the same section where you can restrict access to certain times of the day.

If it does not you either need to setup a little server that sits in between the clients and the internet. You can then set it up as a transparent proxy, web filtering etc.

An alternative would be to use OpenDNS which allows you to block certain content by not translating the domain name into an IP address. The problem with that is that it will not prevent torrents already added or downloaded and it can easily be circumvented by using statis DNS settings,

Another option is getting an appliance like a ZyWALL which is also capable to do most (if not all) of it like blocking websites, keywords or certain services.

The most reliable option is also the one that requires the most effort (financial and/or setup). The best it can get is a Layer 7 filter which can do all of it, block keywords, block websites and block certain types of packets e.g. those marked identified as torrent.

One heads-up I can give you however is that you will never be able to fully block torrent unless you gain access to the device running it. Most torrent clients support encryption which already makes it hard to block. They also manage to bypass firewalls even if all but only selected ports are blocked.