How do I block annoying ads on Android without rooting?

Roseann Harris October 6, 2012

Can anyone tell me if there is some other way of getting rid of annoying ads on my phone besides rooting it? From what I’ve read so far “rooting” is not something I feel comfortable with doing since I’m not very familiar with phone. For instance, I have ads constantly coming to me from “airpush” even though I’ve installed an app that’s supposed to be a “permanent opt out” for airpush ads. When I tried to put an “airpush” blocker app on phone, it said it couldn’t work because my device isn’t “rooted” any suggestions?

1. Aniket

If you need to remove ads without rooting while using only certain apps like infinite painter try switching off any kind of network like wifi from the phone or tab it removes the ads XD very simple specially with tabs which dont have a sim port.

2. webbjames

Hate the annoying mobile ads when I play games.
    And here I have find a related article from: http://samsung-center.blogspot.com/2012/12/how-to-get-rid-of-annoying-mobile-ads.html
    Very helpful for me. All of you can go to have a look.

3. Nikhil Chandak

I think there is no option to block ads without rooting...

5. Dany Bouffard

You can use a DNS service that block ads, like AdBarricade, if you can change your DNS manually. You change your DNS to the DNS of your solution of choice. Thare are others, AdBarricade is just the first I found when using google.

6. shaurya gupta

c'mon dude, why won't u root your phone...who doesn't...just root it and use adaway! :)

Hello Roseann,

Unfortunately there exists no method of blocking ads, unless they're inside of a browser, unrooted.

You may want to try running a detector app and then uninstalling the apps that use the AirPush ads.

If you have Android 4.1 (JellyBean), Google gives you the power to stop the endless notifications. It's pretty simple.

And finally, if you are completely out of options, try the manual opt-out method offered through AirPlay's website. They require that you enter the IMEI, MEID and/or the ESN. You can find these numbers oftentimes behind the battery or on the original packaging that you got the phone in. Try Googling your phone's model with IMEI/MEID/ESN.

Uninstall AdService from the application manager under downloaded applications , whenever you see it.

9. Drew Butler

I think you are better off rooting. Same as Harish I also use AdAway but my devices are rooted. Also as Harish stated most rooting is very straightforward. If you would like some help please reply with your phone make,model & Android OS version and I will get back to you with a step by step guide.

• ma7ashish

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I need some help in rooting my Samsung Galaxy S2 if you don't mind
      My mobile model number: GT-I9100
      Android Version: 4.0.3
      Kernel version: 3.0.15-I9100JPLPF-CL644992
      dpi@DELL178#3
      Build number: IML74K.JPLPF

• drew butler

Sorry I moved and currently don't have internet currently or I would be glad to help. Google "xda sgs2 root method".. Should definitely be a step by step guide on xda developers site considering how long the phone has been out and its popularity.. Sorry I can't help. Good luck

10. Harish Jonnalagadda

Try Adblocker. For unrooted mobiles, there is no such blocker available as for this functionality to be enabled, the hosts file, which stores information of all the servers that the mobile connects to is listed. AdAway is what I use, and it works very well. Rooting nowadays is fairly straightforward. I recommend CynanoGen. It is very easy to install and they have detailed instructions on their website: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/