Is there a blacklist of websites that sell or share your email address?

rob1951 July 23, 2011

I accidentally signed up to an apparently respectable website using my “secret” email address – the one I only usually share with a very few people I trust. Within a couple of days the spam started.

I just wondered if there’s a blacklist of websites where this appears to be a problem.

1. Cme5871

Thanks Aibek!

2. Elizabeth Laime
  3. Cme5871

Can you guys post best websites to sell electronics, and books.

Sure, we'll propose the idea to authors. Meanwhile, why don't you post this as a question on MakeUseOf Answers. http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/

4. Smayonak

Google has an easy method to monitor whether or not a company is surreptitiously selling your e-mail to third parties. However, this method requires use of a Gmail account.

Gmail allows you to receive e-mail addressed to any variation of your e-mail address following a plus sign following your user name. So it would look like this: youremailaddress+anytextyouwant@gmail.com. To recap, if your e-mail address was "ICEMAN@GMAIL.COM" and you wanted to track e-mail from Amazon.com, you would change your e-mail address with Amazon to ICEMAN+AMAZON@GMAIL.COM 
    .COM. The text following your address is intended to tell you where an incoming message originated. If Amazon were selling your address to third parties, you would see the +AMAZON in the addressed to field.

Unfortunately, some companies do not recognize + as a valid character, for extremely suspicious reasons. Also, your log in will change - which in some ways gives you more protection against identity theft.

There is no real blacklist of sites doing so but you could try WOT (Web of Trust) to see the reputation for a site.
    http://www.mywot.com/

I think the biggest problem is that a lot of sites you sign up to put some tricky phrases within the agreement you accept which basically say "we will share your information only with our partners ~no guarantee who they sell them to".