Why am I seeing a black screen of death?

Larry Hultquist September 23, 2011

My computer has started flashing a multicolored rows across the screen, then going black. The computer is still on, but unresponsive. There appears to be no hard drive activity. I’ve cleaned it out, reset the memory, and cleaned the processor fan. Is the processor going? Hard drive?
Thanks!

1. Rrussell14

i just need to get past blackscreen so i can do clean install with windows 7 64 disk. not worried about any data.just need way to reboot.thank you to anybody who can help

Graphical artifacts like colored horizontal or vertical lines or pink pixels usually indicate a problem with your graphics card. 
    As for colored lines and total signal loss it could be either a heat issue of the GPU or insufficient power supply. If the artifacts appear at random including pink pixels during the boot up, POST screen and Windows it is most likely the video memory. Just to be certain make sure that your monitor is connected properly and if you do have the option(s) try another monitor cable and/or test it's functionality on another device. Since there is always room for exceptions it would be best if you could test the GPU in another system preferably one with a "stronger" power supply. 

For an IGP this is obviously not possible so if you do have some onboard graphics solution I suggest to run memtest86 which you can find on pretty much any bootable Linux CD/DVD or get it directly at the following link (the reason being that IGP use parts of your systems memory). 
    http://www.memtest86.com/ 

Can you connect another monitor and tell me if it works fine?