Why have my BitTorrent speeds slowed?

Saurodeep Dutta March 25, 2012

One and 1/2 months ago I started uTorrent, and as a newbie, I kept all my settings to their default values.

With that I used to get download speeds of upto 1MBps (average 400-500 kBps).I had a 256 kbps and then a 512 kbps connection with max direct download speeds of 30 kBps and 50 kBps respectively.

These days I hardly get 50kBps while downloading a torrent.same as my direct download speed, and even after using tweaks outlined on MakeUseOf, my speeds are still 50 kB/s. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

(PS, I seeded the things I downloaded for atleast 3 weeks)

Hello, try to do your downloading/uploading at off peak hours.  I wouldn't doubt that your ISP has noticed the traffic from your connection specially if you do not use encryption in your downloads and it has started throttiling your speed.

Without knowing too much about your provider, connection speed, uTorrent settings etc. I would say the problem is either related to the torrent you are loading or your upload. 

With upload speeds below 6KByte/s uTorrent automatically limits the download speed. Therefor make sure your upload is set more than that.

Download speeds also depend on the amount of total peers for the torrent and the upload speed provided by each of them. A torrent with 50 peers is mostly slower than one with 5000 peers ~ however, if there are only 10 seeders in the group and the leechers have set a very low upload speed downloads may cripple down to only a few KBps

Of course there is also the possibility that your provider put some P2P slowing mechanisms in place.

3. Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

So, basically your internet speeds as a whole are slower.

I would start troubleshooting by running this: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Then I would go to the network, How old is the router (or modem) you are using? 

Do you have Wireless? If you do is it Secured or Unsecured? 

Do you share internet with anyone else in your home?

Do you have a computer running all the time? Is it running anything that is continuously talking to the internet?