Is a BitTorrent download speed of 700 KB/s good?

Ken Morris October 4, 2012

Is a BitTorrent download speed of 700 KB/s good? Should I expect more?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems like my download speed is not so bad!

2. Alex Perkins

Yes that's awesome, I never hit pass the 350Kb/s mark even in the early hours of the morning when most people are AFK.

3. shaurya gupta

That also depends on your internet plan. Mine gives me Mbps. You can set the max upload speed to 0 or 1 kbps, this will increase speed. You can also try changing ports. check the comments of torrent to see if anyone recommends a port. You must use those torrents which have good deal of seeders and less of life sucking leachers!

• Drew Butler

when you are downloading you are a leecher and setting the upload limit to a small amount is not helping others with their DL speeds. Always remember the golden rule and seed to at least a 1.5 ratio.

4. Ahmed Khalil

i think download speed depend on ISP usually

5. Loenja Selter

depends on what the ISP is promising, i typically get 1/8 - 1/3 of their predictd line speed as download speed.

lonja

6. Jaydeep Chavda

Torrent speed depend upon Seeders. But in this case only you have the answer about 700KB/s is good or not because speed also depends upon your ISP.

7. Dimal Chandrasiri

depends on your connection bandwidth.. if you have a connection of 7Mb/s then it's fine.. if you have a 15Mb/s or a 20Mb/s premium kind of a connections, then your download speed sucks...

8. Dave Rimmer

Hi Ken.
    Depends on how many seeders there are I have downloaded at 2.5MB, but 700kb is fine also, you can check your Global Download is set to zero.

9. Harish Jonnalagadda

That is entirely based on how fast your Internet connection is, and the health of the file in question.

It depends upon the internet plan you are subscribed to.Consider that if you have a plan of 1 mbps and get a download speed of 100 KB/s then you should expect more.It all depends upon seeds too.Ideally,the you can get to know the expected download speed by dividing your plan's speed by 8 (1mbps has 1024/8=128KB/s download speed).

Its down to your band width and the uploader(s) speed. 700 Kbs isnt to be moaned at but I like and always achieve somewhere around 1.5Gbs - 2Gbs depending, as I said, on the torrents.

12. Amit Sinha

Its depend on several factors like health and availability of torrent, the bandwidth you have, and network peak time but 700KBPS is good, if you want to save more time then ask for more bandwidth it totally depends on your needs and requirement.

13. Aditya Roy

Your expectations depends on what your ISP provider is promising you.
    what broadband plan do you have?

• Ken Morris

Unlimited up to 20mb download speed. only getting up to 7mb though

14. Usman Mubashir

No, its not good. Its f***** awesome :) I think you got a good torrent, but wait when you get a bad one, your speed will never pass the magical 100kbps mark. Your speed is good, you should thank God for it.

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Ha ha, that is entirely based on where the user is downloading. I have discovered the world of trackers, and consistently see downloads of 2 MBits a sec.

• Usman Mubashir

PLease direct me to it.

• Harish Jonnalagadda

I am a member of thegeeks.bz, myanonamouse, torrentbytes. Truly incredible content! Was searching for them only coz demonoid was down.

Go to torrent-invites to get a better idea..