How can I bind my middle mouse button to open links in a new tab in Chrome?
Question by Craig Snyder /

I’m in a weird predicament. Firefox finally pooped out on me and I’m tired of memory leaks. I’ll go ahead and switch to Chrome now.

I’m on Windows 7 Home Premium running Chrome 21. Everyone else I’ve asked claims that mouse button #3 on a link, like it will in any other browser, opens that link in a new tab. It does not for me. This is a feature that I absolutely need.

What can I do to make this work?

• Darren Reynolds

LoL I didnt know you could do that… My middle mouse button opens up a link in a new browser.. Cool – Thank you

• Kannon Y

In case you’re using a laptop with a touchpad + hard buttons:

for me (using a touchpad device, designed for a desktop), a simultaneous two finger tap on a link activates the absent middle mouse button, which opens pages in tabs.

By the way, if you’re sick of memory holes, try another version of Firefox or perhaps try a browser that emphasizes the smallest memory utilization profile out of all browsers:

Here’s Moonlight, which is a Firefox derivative designed specifically for the Windows operating system:

Here’s Avant, which is (in my opinion) the most promising browser on the market. It uses what’s called a Tri-Core rendering system (it renders pages using all three of the major rendering engines) in addition to having the lowest memory profile out of all the browsers around.

Chrome is easily the best, all-round browser on the market, but there’s still some promise in other browser projects. Hope that’s of use to you!

• Vipul Jain

It actually is a default feature and you need no extra settings for this. You should try a friend’s mouse just to be sure.

Does your mouse come with it’s own driver and/or are you using it’s driver?

It could be either that you are required to install the driver or maybe there is an option within the driver that has changed the mouse button layout or function.

Other then that I can also confirm that mouse 3 does open links in a new tab by default.

• HLJonnalagadda

First off,what kind of mouse are you using? Is it something that is not generic and needs drivers to be installed. If it is, then you can go to the settings in that and configure for Button 3. The wheel is usually set as Button 3.
    If not, go to the default Mouse settings. In that, select the Wheel tab, Wheel Troubleshooter->Advanced, and add chrome.exe to the list.

Earlier,my mouse used to open link in new tab when middle button is clicked.But now,after 3-4 months of usage,it doesn’t works across all OS.You can try using new mouse.

If using Firefox,then try going to about:config and make all the related fields like scroll and paste etc.. to true and see whether it helps or not.

Some other solutions can be found in below links –

open your mouse software and look for middle mouse button there and configure.

perhaps you installed some kind of extension that is not allowing the middle button action.

New Tab Extension for Chrome if you do not have middle mouse button
    Open a link in new tab easily when using touchscreen or mouse/touchpad without middle button.

• Mer

Go to Internet options and on the general tab open Tab settings and choose the setting or reset your setting on “open links from other programs in”