Which is a better deal – getting a restricted-use tablet free with a course, or upgrading to an unrestricted tablet?

Anonymous September 28, 2014

Hello,
I am planning to join an study program – ” Byju classes” which offer a locked Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Neo (basic model) along with their course. Only their lecture videos can be accessed, anything other than the lectures can only be accessed after January 2016 by doing a factory reset which will ensure that the lecture videos have been erased from the tab.

Now, should I buy this course with the existing tablet or upgrade to a Samsung tab 4 (basic model) by paying rupees 7k more – keeping in mind that the tab has no use other than the lectures until January 2016?

Let's put it in these terms. For an extra 7k INR, you are getting a better class of tablet and over a year's (unrestricted) use. In financial terms, that's good value, but do you need that extra functionality? If not, you're throwing your money away. If you really want a decent tablet which you can use in different ways then go for it!

2. Joe

If the tablet is literally locked out to everything apart from the lecture videos then I recommend just getting the basic model (which I assume is included in the costs of the study program). Technology changes so fast that by January 2016 there'll not only be new tablets out on the market, but the Tab 4 will likely be significantly cheaper anyway.