What is the best way to teach myself Python?

Cristián T December 28, 2013

I am very interested in Python and I would love to learn it. However, I read an article on the Internet stating that learning it through reading relevant books or taking courses of it is ineffective. I was wondering what the most efficient way to teach myself Python? Help and advice would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

1. dragonmouth

There is no magic to learning any language - learn the basics and then PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and then PRACTICE some more. Languages are best learned through repetition, and trial and error. It helps if you can get into a community of others interested in the same language as you. Members can debug and critique each others' code and provide variety in topics for which to code.

I agree that learning a language is difficult if done through books, online resources, or even courses like I am doing at a university. You might learn the basics and try to learn the fundamentals, but understanding the logic and implementing the proper codes to go along with it takes lots of hands on practice and experience.

Along with the resources mentioned above, take a look at some tutorials on YouTube and other communities to see how to code in python, but also try to understand the logic behind each piece of code. Logical errors would be the most common error when learning to program and code, which is frustrating and time consuming to figure out as a beginner.

No language (programming language or human one) can be learnt purely by reading a book or following an online course (or even an ordinary course, for that matter). You need a good foundation, a lot of practice and preferably, a community to support you (this last one is furtunately not difficult to find on the web!).

"Learning Python", published by O'Reilly would be an excellent starting point.

4. kihara

You can try this free site http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python. Alternatively, try any of these free websites http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-websites-learn-python-programming/