What is the best talk-to-text solution for Windows 8.x?

Mahiv3 April 22, 2014

Hi, I am not a tech.  I got a PC as gift when told I have cancer.  I need to tell a life story but hunt-and-peck-takes too long.  I need a good free talk-to-text solution.  I am weak and holding a keyboard up for hours exhausts me.  Time is of the essence.  I’ve spent a career that needs documentation.

1. Pavel P

You can use Google Chrome speech recognition engine. There are some online free speech recognition services I prefer speechpad, those services let you make speech to text conversation. But it seems to me you can use them only in desktop windows 8.

For the best results, you should also be using a headset with attached microphone no matter what solution you choose. The Dragon Dictate software mentioned by Dalsan has numerous package variations, some of which include headset-mics that work reasonably well with the software.

The last Newegg deal I saw for Naturally Speaking Home edition was less than $2 after rebate four days ago.

The best software to use for speech-to-text would be Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking. This software can be expensive, but if you find the right deals on Newegg or similar deal website for your locale, you can get the Home version for around $50USD or less (after rebate).

Otherwise, you would have to use the Accessibility option built into Windows that allows speech recognition. This would take a good while to get used to and train as well as learn how to "talk" to your computer. Each option has its faults and issues, but you should be able to accomplish most of what you wish to do with either speech recognition software. This guide will help you in setting up the speech recognition software in Windows 8.

• Saumyakanta S

I'hv used this software , but it doesnt work that well..

• Dalsan M

There are many different variables that can cause issues, including how one pronounces words, accents, quality of the microphone, speed at which the words are spoken, and how well/long you train with the software. The more it is used and understand how to work around some of the issues, the better the results, and the more the user and software "learn" from each other.

• Saumyakanta S

I think developers should make these softwares like siri , or cortana , that can handle voices effectively as well as do basic tasks in the OS.

• Dalsan M

You mean like turning your computer into J.A.R.V.I.S. from Iron Man? All it takes to get more functionality out of speech recognition is the creation of macros through the Windows Speech Recognition Macros tool.

As far as "better" recognition of voice, it takes "training" the software and learning the limitations of its ability to recognize speech. No matter what software you use, there are going to be issues here and there. Siri, Cortana, or other speech recognition software are not perfect.

4. Saumyakanta S

what do you mean by "text to text" or is it "speech to text" ??

• Bruce E

Where are you reading "text to text?" There are 2 instances, one in the question itself and the other in the details where it says "talk-to-text," i.e., speech-to-text, hence the speech to text tag on the question.

• naif

good